Upgrade before 4.10 gears?

Kyukca

Established Member
I have a 99 Cobra and I am going to put 4.10 gears in it. I was wondering if I should change the rear end out for the 31 spline before I buy and install my gears. I won't have more than bolt ons for a long time, and don't plan on launching the car. I'm not clear how important it is.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
I have a 99 Cobra and I am going to put 4.10 gears in it. I was wondering if I should change the rear end out for the 31 spline before I buy and install my gears. I won't have more than bolt ons for a long time, and don't plan on launching the car. I'm not clear how important it is.

You'll also need to change the half shafts if you want to go that route, since yours are 28 spline on the diff side as well. I would do it, but I'm the king of overkill. If you don't launch and hop, you'll be fine on 28's.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
All depends on your time frame and budget - it's a common upgrade (28 -> 31), but for a street car that is only going to see bolt-ons, you'd be fine I think.

Kyukca

Established Member
Thanks guys, I think I'll just wait

You'll also need to change the half shafts if you want to go that route, since yours are 28 spline on the diff side as well. I would do it, but I'm the king of overkill. If you don't launch and hop, you'll be fine on 28's.

I knew I would have to change the axles, but will I have to change the hubs too?

Also can I just build custom axles with 31 spline centers and 28 spline ends? (Hope that makes sense)

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Awesome. Thanks for the advice guys. Can't tell you how nice it is to get serious answer on a forum.

Btw, are there any cool 99/01 build threads I could look at? Specifically for cars built to take corners?

Thanks again

-KYUKCA

I'll have one for the ages right around the end of november to the second week of december. It won't dissapoint. Try the open track section for more corner carving specif info, those guys know what's up.

Users who are viewing this thread