Upgrade HCI or just get Blowzilla 2.1

Molati

Established Member
My 93 Cobra has a few minor mods the fella I bought it from had done but I'm thinking about stepping it up a notch. I was planning on upgrading the heads(comp AFR 165), cam, honing the upper and lower intakes and a bigger throttle body & MAF sensor. I'm assuming with the heads I'll have to upgrade the springs, push rods, lifters and rockers. Or I can just bolt on the Blowzilla and save about 8 hours of work for the same amount of money. I'm looking for some decision help guys.

1slohawk

Established Member
Me personally I'd put an s-trim on the car with minor bolt ons and have a high 11 second car. The H/C/I setup is another direction, but driveability will suffer over stock and the H/C/I wont make near the power of an s-trim. I say s-trim because I don't know much about the blowzilla nor do I know anyone that runs one on a fox. My friends and I have all had great luck with vortechs.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Yeah, a vortech is a super easy, bolt on, awesome setup. The blowzilla may be a little more harder to tune, but will have the horsepower hit at lower rpms.

buddha93

Established Member
What are you HP goals?

I've got a little of both, so I can probably point you in the right direction.

Teal93

Vortech is the way I went. Then I put heads cam and intake after. Then a turbo. Then head aches. The vortech is on the wifes cobra now and have a blast on the street with it. You will not be disapointed with a vortech.

Molati

Established Member
First, thanks for the replies I can use all the advise I can get. My goals for the car have changed in the year i've had it...BIG shock right? I was going to keep it as stock as possible and I have all the OEM parts from the guy who sold it to me but I don't foresee selling it anytime soon. I know the stock 93's esp. teal/blacks are preferred to be in the un-modded state and maybe someday I'll put them back on to sell it...in the mean time Cobras are supposed to be fast and that's what I want. My thoughts on the KB 2.1, It basically just takes the place of the upper intake by bolting on in it's place, easy reliable power no inter cooler necessary. Also, easy to put back to orig. if needed. The centrifugal blowers make a lot of heat and for some reason my car runs hot when it's not moving. I'm just curious if the stock GT40 heads, cam and intake will support a supercharger or i'd be just wasting my time and money for a small gain in HP.
If I went with upgraded heads the I might as well do the cam while i'm at it. Then obviously the upper and lower intake have to be opened up to flow with the heads and cam. I could add a blower in a couple years if my wife doesn't kill me first.

Ultimately, I like to see 11's but I think 12's are more likely with what I'm looking at doing for now.

Last edited:

TX93Cobra

Established Member
friend of mine ported gt40s. vortech and tfs1 put down 470 rwhp.... typically id expect between 400-430 to the wheels..

buddha93

Established Member
12's are an easy task. You can do that with just a few tricks, slicks, and some gearing. Heck, I went 12.80's with an E7 headed 306, 5 speed, and slicks.

Either blower will get you what your looking for. It's just a matter of what you like, and how you want it. In terms of heat, the KB will actually generate more heat soak, as it's bolted right to the top of the motor. I would address your temp issue before you do any sort of modifications. I would keep either blower at 10 psi or less.

My KB car is bone stock, with the exception of the blower, supporting fuel parts, and exhaust. It made 390 rwhp and 430ish rwtq. It does very well.

You could put a Vortech Si trim on that car and make the same sort of numbers with no issue. I helped a buddy of mine put one on his stock bottom end, TFS headed combo and with a little meth, it made 485 rwhp.......it's ridculous.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
A S-Trim on a stock 93 cobra longblock with about 16psi put down something close to 505 at the wheel. It was in MM&FF several years ago.

In regards to a S-Trims potential, here's what my 89 did with out of the box edelbrock heads, a crane shelf cam, and edelbrock intake with about 12-14psi via vortech

dyno.jpg

Little on the rich side. :)

BiLL1024

Established Member
One thing is, how many mile are on the motor?
I want to do a blower too, but I have close to 170,000 miles and was told not a good idea.
They said "the bottom end would not hold up with that many miles.
So my options are the Ford racing crate 306, plus a blower, or just have a 343 stroker built and drop it in. I am leaning towards the stroker.
If I did a blower I would go Vortech, just to keep it kinda stock looking.
I like the Cobra intake

buddha93

Established Member
One thing is, how many mile are on the motor?
I want to do a blower too, but I have close to 170,000 miles and was told not a good idea.
They said "the bottom end would not hold up with that many miles.
So my options are the Ford racing crate 306, plus a blower, or just have a 343 stroker built and drop it in. I am leaning towards the stroker.
If I did a blower I would go Vortech, just to keep it kinda stock looking.
I like the Cobra intake

Usually blow-by is of concern with higher milage cars. Personally, I wouldn't go toss one on with that kind of miles.

BHAM

Established Member
toss the kb on it and be done. hci wont net you what you are looking for, time consuming and costly. forget the vortech and do the kb, instant gratification and no waiting for the psi to kick in, its instant. the vortech increases psi with rpm.
i had a v2 strim on my 93 cobra with just an f cam and it put down 466 413 to the wheels on 12 psi....would have liked the kb better but i was a dummy and went with the vortech

Molati

Established Member
I only have 64000 miles on the clock and drove it just under 1000 miles this summer. So, with either blower what fuel system upgrades need to be addressed?
Again, thanks for all the advise from everyone.

Last edited:

St8-E

Established Member
This is a great read...I am in the exact same predicament as Molati, was going to do the H/C/I, but now I am thinking of doing an SC and being done with it. Was def. going to get an S-trim with about 8-10 lbs of boost, but now you all have me thinking about the KB with its bottom end boost...As far as kit's go...I spoke to Vortech yesterday and they assure me, that EVERYTHING comes with their kit right down to the zip-ties...is KB the same? My car has 86,000 miles and is stock as far as engine goes...

buddha93

Established Member
I'd drop a larger in-tank in with 42's and a LMAF, assuming your going to stick around 10 psi. Get the Kenne Bell BAP and you can get by with a 255 in-tank with no problems.

Allow cash for some sort of tuning device to get it right......chip, or hand-held.

buddha93

Established Member
This is a great read...I am in the exact same predicament as Molati, was going to do the H/C/I, but now I am thinking of doing an SC and being done with it. Was def. going to get an S-trim with about 8-10 lbs of boost, but now you all have me thinking about the KB with its bottom end boost...As far as kit's go...I spoke to Vortech yesterday and they assure me, that EVERYTHING comes with their kit right down to the zip-ties...is KB the same? My car has 86,000 miles and is stock as far as engine goes...

Both kits will have every little thing you could possibly need, less a chip/handheld.

The Vortech will come with an FMU which is just an old school way of enriching the mix........essentially your "tune". They work, but a chip or handheld can do so much more and you can tune for maximum HP safely.

TX93Cobra

Established Member
Im on the fence about a kb or a vortec as well.... I see a guy with stock long block and kb made like 330 or so.to the wheels on youtube... Which is weird bc id expect alot more then that... I think the username is ceetwarrior and hes on 1993cobra.com

Users who are viewing this thread