Upgrade or Rebuild?

tankerman1981

Established Member
Well I just got my 96 Cobra and already am thinking of either rebuilding the T45 or upgrading. My dream would be to switch it out and put a T56 in it cause I really loved that transmission since i had my 03 Cobra but also have to think about cost. So looking for opinions or ideas on the subject. Would it be better to just stay with the T45 and rebuild it or upgrade to something else?
any input would be alot of help.

Race4food

Established Member
How about a Tremec 3550 /tko550?? You get the aluminum bellhousing that will allow for removing the tranny with out the integrated bellhousing ala T56/t45 a lighter tranny that is also stronger.

I'm about to go this route. I currently have long tubes on the car and its a pain with the t45 bellhousing.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I would go with the T56. I bought a Viper spec T56 and a driveshaft for $2300 with 300 miles on it. I will gather the rest of the parts need for the swap as funds allow. Keep a eye on the Market and for sale sections on the Corral and Stangnet. There was a T56 that sold for $1600 last week that was never installed so there are deals out there just be patient.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
There are always guys selling T56's from their '03s for decent prices. Snatch one of those up. I love my T56 with 4.10's, the car still pulls at 80mph in 6th!

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
T-56s aren't good for 96-98s because the first gear is so high. Promotion can build you a 3650 or T-45 that will handle all the power you can throw at it.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I love my t-56. I would recommend it. But it will likely be cheaper going with a built t-45. Mostly because you wont have to swap any parts besides the tranny itself.

tankerman1981

Established Member
yea i figured it would be much cheaper to build up the t-45... i just remember my t56 and i loved it especially going through the gears it was sooo easy and fluid and just seems alot rougher with the t45... thanks for all the comments and ideas

Users who are viewing this thread