Upgraded Brake Packages?

rlearp

Established Member

Just Enough

Established Member
TCE performance makes a couple of kits for the Lightning using Wilwood calipers. I've got the 14 inch front kit on my 04. Easy install and very nice pedal feel and performance, not to mention it looks correct having a 14 inch rotor on the front balancing out the 13.5 rear stocker.

OH-MAN

Established Member
T.C.E. is the best bang for the buck.
I have been using his Willwood setup on the front for years and the rears for about 9 months.
If you have questions call Todd he will talk you through anything you are wondering about.

I road course the ones on my truck and they are fantastic!!!!!

03CaLi_BoLt

SicK@SVT
Established Member
Was just wondering if there where any other brake kits out there I might even have to be different and do something custom since 3 grande is a bit pricey for me

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
You'd be surprised how much better your brakes will feel just from changing the lines. This is especially true on an older truck where the rubber lines have gotten a bit soft.

00slvrL

RIP 05.18.2013
Established Member
You'd be surprised how much better your brakes will feel just from changing the lines. This is especially true on an older truck where the rubber lines have gotten a bit soft.

This is so true! SS lines are a must.

OH-MAN

Established Member
Was just wondering if there where any other brake kits out there I might even have to be different and do something custom since 3 grande is a bit pricey for me

Going to be hard to beat $3000.00 for a set that work as well.
The other way is to make the most of the stockers. Painting calipers will make them look better. S.S. braided lines are a big improvement to feel.
Bleed the brakes at least once a year to keep moisture to a min.

If you want bigger they cost money, check Baer and Brembo then TCE looks like a very good deal.

Best of luck on the quest.

andy mack

Established Member
I have the wilwood big brake kit fronts only cost in the uk £1700 Inc imprt tax etc so must be cheaper over there, tons better than stock and haven't had brake fade YET, happened a few times on the stock first time was chasing a subaru imprezza around the country lanes speeds up to 90mph and heavy breaking came up to a sharp corner a brake pedal went straight to the floor, heart in mouth and pumping pedal got round ok but got home and still had the adrenaline shakes hence the. Wilwoods
andy

Todd TCE

Established Member
Where did the 3G's come from?? My stuff starts at $1750, sometimes less if there are some 'scratch and dent' deals around.

I guess if you're committed to a front and rear you'd get there but on the Lightning I'd wager maybe 10% of buyers do the rear. Mostly the track guys who want pad options and lower temps. Street use there's no gain really.

OH-MAN

Established Member
Where did the 3G's come from?? My stuff starts at $1750, sometimes less if there are some 'scratch and dent' deals around.

I guess if you're committed to a front and rear you'd get there but on the Lightning I'd wager maybe 10% of buyers do the rear. Mostly the track guys who want pad options and lower temps. Street use there's no gain really.

I tried to not use the back set up but after my second session on the east track at firebird I looked in the mirror pulling into the pits and saw enough smoke comming off the rears I knew I would be talking to Todd real soon.

Took a few laps around the pits at slow speed to cool them down and prevent a fire.

Thanks again Todd.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Braided lines and good pads will do wonders for the stock sized brakes. You can't beat a TCE kit for all out performance of course. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread