Upgraded Clutches & Flywheels...

GrayGhost Dog

Established Member
I have been researching clutches and flywheels for the past 3-4 months. Originally concentrated on a twin disc clutch kit(McLeod RST or RAM Dual Street 9.5), then I thought they might be a little overkill for a car with no real power adders. Now I'm looking at an Exedy Mach 500 clutch kit paired with a Fidanza Aluminum or Steel flywheel. Any suggestions?

BV600

Established Member
Im in the same boat, need one for the procharger setup.
I talked to Monster Clutches and they have a clutch coming out really soon. Ive had Monster in my GMs and they are kick ass clutches.

BlackMamba3

Established Member
Even without a big power-adder, the McLeod RST clutch with a steel flywheel is a great choice. Keeps the stock feel and can handle up to 800hp, just in case. I've never driven a car with an Exedy clutch. I know there's some guys running them on these cars and they seem to like them. It's really your call.

98ss88mm

Established Member
dont run an aluminum flywheel... i have an RXT, but its in the garage lol.

bcolenj

Established Member
McLeod all the way. The RXT actually feels better than stock and can handle 1,000HP.

Hows the noise/chatter especially with the clutch disengaged or around 2k RPM. I have a SPEC twin and its VERY noisy at 2k rpm as well as at idle if i depress the clutch.

Benchracer

Established Member
What about a boss clutch? Why doesnt anybody run those? Seems like they will handle a ton of power and I will bet the pedal feel is softer than most aftermarkets. Plus the price dont seem too bad either.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Hows the noise/chatter especially with the clutch disengaged or around 2k RPM. I have a SPEC twin and its VERY noisy at 2k rpm as well as at idle if i depress the clutch.

You can get a small about of chatter at take-off, which gets better with more miles on it. That's about it though.

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
I have the Mcleod RST with an aluminum flywheel. It has lighter than stock pedal feel and works well with my Procharger setup. Mine has no chatter on takeoff.

J666Z

JohnnyZ06
Established Member
McLeod is great!!!

But if you're on a budget and want something strong and still street friendly, check out the Exedy Mach 700 w/ Exedy Light Weight Steel Flywheel.

GrayGhost Dog

Established Member
Even without a big power-adder, the McLeod RST clutch with a steel flywheel is a great choice. Keeps the stock feel and can handle up to 800hp, just in case. I've never driven a car with an Exedy clutch. I know there's some guys running them on these cars and they seem to like them. It's really your call.

Thanks to all. BlackMamba3, we've been through this before... and you've been a huge help... so I'm going to stop second-guessing myself and go with the McLeod RST with steel flywheel. I just got off the phone with McLeod's Tech Department and they are saying I should be good with the stock throw out bearing/slave cylinder. Forgot to ask about stock pilot bearing... they did recommend ARP crank bolts, so I'll look into that.

ViciousJay

Established Member
have you guys thought about the Boss 302 clutch?

the fly wheel bolt pattern is different, its 9 instead of 6. Not sure how they can get this to work but i think evolution did. Id really like to know so i can buy a clutch and set it to the side for just in case crap happens

Last edited:

Benchracer

Established Member
the fly wheel bolt pattern is different, its 9 instead of 6. Not sure how they can get this to work but i think evolution did. Id really like to know so i can buy a clutch and set it to the side for just in case crap happens

Maybe the boss flywheel bolt pattern is the same. If so then you would just need to get a boss flywheel.

Entrenched

Established Member
I'm selling my compete clutch set up if anyone is interested. Trying to get my for sale threads up.

Mcleod RXT with Billet Steel flywheel
ARP Crank bolts
Cobrajet clutch line
Ram Pedal adjuster
GT500 Pedal Assy
MGW Shifter

PM me for details.

Users who are viewing this thread