Upgraded Heat Exchangers...

03DarkShadow

Established Member
Has anyone replaced there Factory Exchanger w/ an upgraded one? I was wondering if they are worth the money or at least better at cooling and maintaining consistent numbers and ET's? Thanks Jamie

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
I asked for data on this a while back and as far as I kow, noone had any. I sure wouldn't spend 1K+ on something that potetially offers nothing without some data to back it up.

Bryon

jtfx6552

Established Member
03DarkShadow,
Nice HP and T numbers! What mods are you running?

I have an aftermarket heat exchanger, not sure what it did if anything, I was thinking of getting that palm autotap deal so I can datalog IAT2 compared to IAT1, but I haven't yet. I wasted $400 on an dedicated OBDII scanner that doesn't do IAT2, DAMN!

JT

Last edited:

abailey269

Established Member
Originally posted by jtfx6552
03DarkShadow,
Nice HP and T numbers! What mods are you running?

I have an aftermarket heat exchanger, not sure what it did if anything, I was thinking of getting that palm autotap deal so I can datalog IAT2 compared to IAT1, but I haven't yet. I wasted $400 on an dedicated OBDII scanner that doesn't do IAT2, DAMN!

JT

I wouldent be suprised if you saw minimal hp gains with your heat exchanger. However, where you benefited was from heat soak. After a few runs in a row it seems like our stock heat x gets a little un efficient (heat soaked) where your large front mount should not even be breaking a sweat yet. So, back to back runs is where your large Heat X should show its benefits.

logan_yomtov

Established Member
i think the stock heat exchanger works pretty well. Even have after a few runs on a hot day at the track, i stuck my finger in the intercooler coolant and it was actually pretty cool. it wasn't even warm.

edit: that was with the stock pulley though. don't know how well it works with a pulley upgrade.

StRacer

Established Member
If you race at the track only then it may not be the thing for you, but if you are a street racer or road racer with no cool down then you will gain immensly. Completely heat soaked driving around with 18 psi from the stock eaton we have seen 100 degree drops at the top of fourth gear. I will have data with the KB on my car as soon as this week...may take a little longer as I am still tuning the KB. I look at it this way you can't get the air inlet temp TOO cold so its a definate need for me......that and if you do repeated roll races you won't believe the difference. Like I said I will check the temp with the stock and then with my setup for those of you with a KB and I will let you know.

Last edited:

03DarkShadow

Established Member
JT those numbers where on the juice at 4500rpms. I have TB, 2.80, 6lb,2 1/2 exhaust, Diablo chip, 170 thermostat. The best numbers ive gotten off the juice is 468HP and 515 lb-ft. Im trying to figuer whats killing my HP.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
so you got the KB on? How is it running so far? How was the install

StRacer

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
so you got the KB on? How is it running so far? How was the install

Not too bad on the install a few kinks but not bad. Interesting watching the boost gage climb untill it hits the rev limiter.....I like it!:-D I am still in the tuning stages.....I should have her licked this week ...on pump gas anyway...I'll keep you guys posted.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
thats awsome man. Seeing how well you did with 450-480rwhp, I can't wait to see what you do with 600rwhp. How much psi are you going to run on pump gas?

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
Yes, but if the stock unit gets your temps within a few degrees of ambient, then it doesn't do any good to go bigger. At any rate, I am interested in seeing your data. Try to do it with the ambients the same and make sure speed/conditions are the same.

Users who are viewing this thread