Upgraded my catch can

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
So even with my Bob's twin catch cans I've still been getting a little oil in my supercharger.
48401449742_d45d614565_c.jpg

So I finally decided to get a Watson Racing Peterson catch can kit, I've always wanted to do this setup I just haven't seen to many other GT500 guys do this catch can.
48401451487_23e861442b_c.jpg

48401450902_639f127aee_c.jpg

I'ts kinda a pain in the ass to fit everything but I would like to see if any of you guys have done this catch can and if you can post up some pictures.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
For all our CA or states with CA style emissions, this is an instant visual inspection fail.

For all of us in Free America, Im interested... :D

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
A catch can will get you a fail on CA emissions testing?
Yes, assuming the inspecting Smog Tech is even remotely following the law.

Most of the guys looking for stock parts in the market place are either selling their car and want to sell stock, or are from CA trying to pass Smog. Some are so far down the hole for Smog that they have been flagged to the State Smog referee...

RBB

Established Member
Yes, assuming the inspecting Smog Tech is even remotely following the law.

Most of the guys looking for stock parts in the market place are either selling their car and want to sell stock, or are from CA trying to pass Smog. Some are so far down the hole for Smog that they have been flagged to the State Smog referee...
Wow, that's absolutely absurd. What's the rationale for an oil separator failing emissions? Yet another reason why I will never live in CA....

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
For all our CA or states with CA style emissions, this is an instant visual inspection fail.

For all of us in Free America, Im interested... :D
Well lucky for us we don't have to deal with that shit hole state, and I have collector car insurance so I don't have to deal with any emissions in AZ either

But so far I like the new catch can and I'm happy I'm not getting any oil in my supercharger, the car does seem to be running a little smoother. Honestly the only real issue is how big the tank is, I feel like the only real way to mount it correctly is to relocate the battery in the trunk.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow, that's absolutely absurd. What's the rationale for an oil separator failing emissions? Yet another reason why I will never live in CA....
I think you would pass with a JLT catch can or a Bob's can since it's still going back to the intake. But this catch can is venting to open air so I would think even in AZ that would be a fail if the emissions guy even knows what he's looking at.

merkyworks

Established Member

It's cause cans like these are letting combustion blow-by make its way into the atmosphere. While the average car guy may not think a little oil mist vapor is so bad it technically is an environmental contaminant, that's why auto manufacturers started routing back into the intake to be burnt up.

Any catch can that feeds back into the intake would pass an emissions test. I mean its only purpose to help trap oil particle from getting back into the intake path, technically you could argue a catch can is better for passing emissions cause it stops oil from being burned in the combustion chamber.

RBB

Established Member
It's cause cans like these are letting combustion blow-by make its way into the atmosphere. While the average car guy may not think a little oil mist vapor is so bad it technically is an environmental contaminant, that's why auto manufacturers started routing back into the intake to be burnt up.

Any catch can that feeds back into the intake would pass an emissions test. I mean its only purpose to help trap oil particle from getting back into the intake path, technically you could argue a catch can is better for passing emissions cause it stops oil from being burned in the combustion chamber.
Gotcha, I didn't notice this can was vented to atmosphere. That definitely makes more sense.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
If a Smog tech knows what it is, and there is no CARB E.O. sticker, it is not legal. Short of CARB approved parts (parts that have been paid the extortion fee to CARB), everything power train related must be factory.

You have to understand, the state of California sends out bait cars to smog shops to test their integrity. Especially if they get a "tip" that a smog shop or a specific tech is suspected of passing modified cars. Its legally on the shop AND the individual Smog Tech if a car thats in violation of CA law is passed. The owner is ordered to revert that car back to stock and have it reinspected by a state inspector.

Hell, I had a guy I worked with in Carlsbad get his smog license threatened to be revoked. CARB sent a bait car through, and they recorded him forgetting to inspect the GAS CAP. Enough for them to come down, request a meeting with the dealer principle, service manager and the tech. Made him watch their evidence video and grilled him FBI style.

There are some who will claim its no problem, they have their modified car passed all the time. And yes, it happens all the time. But if you as an owner get refereed to the State inspector because you got caught, its a giant pain in the ass for the average car owner.

Literally cannot state enough how thankful I am I decided to leave and "come home" to AZ. Even if our access to real E85 sucks hairy balls. :D

merkyworks

Established Member
@lexustech48 that story is crazy, swear CA is nice to visit but never would I want to live there ugh. Now I get why this one user said he bought a 100% stock GT500 motor out of a wrecked car to swap into his car to pass CA smog test.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If a Smog tech knows what it is, and there is no CARB E.O. sticker, it is not legal. Short of CARB approved parts (parts that have been paid the extortion fee to CARB), everything power train related must be factory.

You have to understand, the state of California sends out bait cars to smog shops to test their integrity. Especially if they get a "tip" that a smog shop or a specific tech is suspected of passing modified cars. Its legally on the shop AND the individual Smog Tech if a car thats in violation of CA law is passed. The owner is ordered to revert that car back to stock and have it reinspected by a state inspector.

Hell, I had a guy I worked with in Carlsbad get his smog license threatened to be revoked. CARB sent a bait car through, and they recorded him forgetting to inspect the GAS CAP. Enough for them to come down, request a meeting with the dealer principle, service manager and the tech. Made him watch their evidence video and grilled him FBI style.

There are some who will claim its no problem, they have their modified car passed all the time. And yes, it happens all the time. But if you as an owner get refereed to the State inspector because you got caught, its a giant pain in the ass for the average car owner.

Literally cannot state enough how thankful I am I decided to leave and "come home" to AZ. Even if our access to real E85 sucks hairy balls. :D

They're getting even worse now. A guy I know got a notice for the referee after he "passed" smog. I'm not sure what happened to the smog shop that passed him. But I know he was trying to figure out how he was going to get his car to pass the ref station with a return style fuel system.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Illegal, no. But, it does not comply with C.A.R.B. (California Air Resouces Board) standards, so if your state adopted C.A.R.B. standards, you would fail if held to the letter of the act. Personally, I don't see it as a violation, but unless the manufacturer of the part goes through the motions and the expense of getting an Executive Order, you're part is deemed non-compliant. You're dealing with clueless bureaucrats that enforce the rules, and I doubt many inspectors would even notice it. It's a 30 second conversion to put the stock tube back on when you in go for an inspection, so I wouldn't run the risk of not doing that. I live in a state that only has safety inspections, and I've have bigger problems than that if we ended up with C.A.R.B. adoption. But we can't even get inspection stickers to stay attached to the windshields.

Users who are viewing this thread