Upgrading 1993 Cobra brakes.

93KingCobra

Established Member
I know it has been asked a million times before but I tried to do a search.. :shrug: But could not find the anwser I was looking for..

Well here it goes, I would like to just upgrade to some slotted rotors front and rear with maybe some better pads...

Where would be the best place to look?? I'm not a big E-BAY'er so that is out of the question...I did look at power slots but they only make them for GT's. :cuss:

I really do not want to break the bank and go with some Baer's or Willwood's

Any suggestions would be great...

Thanks

Fiveoh93Snake

Snake Bitten!
Established Member
http://www.50resto.com/

They've got some options as far as upgrades for our cars. You can get kinda wild and really spend the bucks or I believe SSBC (Stainless Steel Brakes Corp.) has a decent slotted front rotor and pad kit for like $400.

93KingCobra

Established Member
Are they the same size as the 93 front rotors I have heard the ones like power slot offers for the GT have a smaller hat so the wheels will be set inside further and cause the tires to rub.........

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Not sure on your question, but I do know you will thank yourself for spending a little more up front for good rotors. I've heard several local bad stories on the cheaper slotted/drilled stuff. I use Baer on both cars without problems. I also believe Baer or Brembo is making a budget set available through Autozone or similar.
-J

Knexo

Established Member
I know you said you don'y like ebay much, but I got really good set off there. If you just type "93 Cobra" in the search window, you'll get a list of parts. I can't remember the company, but all they do is slot the stock rotor. Thy have the ford marking's on them. The slot's not very deep though, so if your looking for somthing for seroius racing, you might want to look at Baers or wilwoods.

Last edited:

9T3SVT

Established Member
I'll be getting the Baer 13inch front kit. They make one specific to the 93 Cobra that will fit behind the stock wheels. The only bad thing is it runs $1200 with $300 coming back for core charges.

The cool part is they ship the kit assembled on the spindles :)

BTW you always get what you pay for. If you find a nice set of slotted rotors for cheap, then they are just that, cheap :bored:

Last edited:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
9T3SVT said:
I'll be getting the Baer 13inch front kit. They make one specific to the 93 Cobra that will fit behind the stock wheels. The only bad thing is it runs $1200 with $300 coming back for core charges.

The cool part is they ship the kit assembled on the spindles :)

BTW you always get what you pay for. If you find a nice set of slotted rotors for cheap, then they are just that, cheap :bored:

you will love that kit :thumbsup:

93kingcobra-
if you are doing a cheap upgrade, look into upgrading to SVO calipers and SS lines . Like someone mentioned, either Advance or Autozone sales stock replacement slotted/drilled Baer rotors but i am unsure if they offer one for the 93 cobra. But most of your improvement will be from the caliper upgrade. SVO's have a 73mm piston in them and are a direct replacement in our braking systems I believe.

93KingCobra

Established Member
Cool :coolman:

Thanks guy's for all your information I might as well save a little longer and just get them Brembo kit....

BTW what kind of rotors come with the Brembo's --Slotted or crossdrilled????
I was thinking they are crossdrilled...Do any of you that have the kit have any problems with the rotors cracking????

Thanks

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
9T3SVT said:
4 Rotors for that little is too good to be true IMO. They are probably junk steel, I'd spend a bit more. You will always get what you paid for!

I installed one of the Alum. Flywheels that TMD offers and was made by Hawk also, on a friends 331 Coupe. The flywheel looked great, fit fine, and he has had no problems with it.

If the rotors are of the same quality, I would have no problem using them on my car.

Orion1123

SVT Poster
Established Member
I have installed those rotors from TMD and I have had no problems with them. I also upgraded to the 73mm calipers from a '91 Police Interceptor, they are a direct bolt on for our applications

TacticalKaos

Established Member
I think braided lines, some Motul RBF 600 fluid and some slotted rotors should do it. That would cost less than $500 and give you significantly better stopping power and exponentially better feel. If you are in Louisiana I've got the Motul fluid and while help you install the rest.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
When it comes to brakes, you are really going to get what you pay for. If you buy some cheapy rotors then chances are they will end up warping in no time at all. You also have to watch the pad you run with these types of rotors since they cannot stand heat at all!! I used to have some brembo rotors on my car and they did a very decent job for the 4 lug scene. To anyone looking to jump to a 5 lug I would suggest the Baer x-drilled and slotted rotors .... just finished the install:

esvint.jpg

esvipc.jpg

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
tunedin302 said:
When it comes to brakes, you are really going to get what you pay for. If you buy some cheapy rotors then chances are they will end up warping in no time at all. You also have to watch the pad you run with these types of rotors since they cannot stand heat at all!! I used to have some brembo rotors on my car and they did a very decent job for the 4 lug scene. To anyone looking to jump to a 5 lug I would suggest the Baer x-drilled and slotted rotors .... just finished the install:

esvint.jpg

esvipc.jpg

Looks good. I was thinking about going the same route with brakes and wheels. What size tires are you running and do you have any rubbing issues?

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
Blu50Stang said:
Looks good. I was thinking about going the same route with brakes and wheels. What size tires are you running and do you have any rubbing issues?

Thanks .... I run Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires - 245/35/18 in front and a 255/35/18 in the rear w/ the quad shock, stock length axles, and no rolling of the fender lip. The only modification that I had to do was put a couple of rack limiters in the front. A lot of people run a 245/40 up front but I decided to keep the OD of the tires very similar so I went with the 35 series up front. Let me know if I can help and I like the "Dual" stangs .... someday maybe I'll be there too :-D

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
Thanks for the info. I really want to stuff some larger tires in the rear(more like 275s), so I may have to find a different rim with more backspacing. The backspacing on my current wheels only allows for 255's(with tons of room between the tire and pipes). I really like the look of Saleen wheels on a Fox though.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
Blu50Stang said:
Thanks for the info. I really want to stuff some larger tires in the rear(more like 275s), so I may have to find a different rim with more backspacing. The backspacing on my current wheels only allows for 255's(with tons of room between the tire and pipes). I really like the look of Saleen wheels on a Fox though.

You could do a 275 with the saleen but it may require the fender lip to be rolled. I didn't want to do this so I went with 255s. Also, be aware that the true Saleens are front and rear specific meaning the front has a 25mm offset and the rear has a 12mm offset. I used 4 front rims on my car since I felt the 12mm stuck out too far on the fox cars.

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
tunedin302 said:
You could do a 275 with the saleen but it may require the fender lip to be rolled. I didn't want to do this so I went with 255s. Also, be aware that the true Saleens are front and rear specific meaning the front has a 25mm offset and the rear has a 12mm offset. I used 4 front rims on my car since I felt the 12mm stuck out too far on the fox cars.

Again, good info, thanks. I don't think I'll be rolling my fenders...Im afraid it'd hurt the paint.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Blu50Stang said:
Again, good info, thanks. I don't think I'll be rolling my fenders...Im afraid it'd hurt the paint.
Why is everyone scared to roll the fender lips? Any good body shop can do this for little $$$ and not hurt the paint.
It is the only solution to run serious tire on a FOX.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread