Upgrading clutch, what else should I do?

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
Im going to be getting a Spec 3+, my stock clutched slipped some when I had like 500 lbs. worth of extra passengers. what else should I do?

The car will most likely be receiving a Whipple by the end of the year.

Should I be upgrading to a 26 spline? I'm not planning on running slicks, maybe drag radials at one point.

The throwout bearing is chirping kinda bad, I hear the Ford Racing part is recommended. Anything else?

DE07GT

Established Member
If you're getting a Spec, I'm pretty sure they come with the throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and alignment tool.
When I change my clutch in a few weeks I'm definitely switching to a 26 spline input shaft and might get a new TOB retainer sleeve from Lethal.

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
If you have the cash to do the 26 spline shaft now, you might as well do it now rather than dropping the trans again... Since the trans is out you might want to look into the anti-venom washer mod..

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
from everything i've read, do not use the spec t/o bearing (even though it's provided with the kit). get the frpp t/o bearing instead, supposedly much longer life

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Yep, I would suggest a Ford Racing Heavy Duty T/O bearing too. I've heard nothing good about the aftermarket bearings.

Here is the list of trans mods I did when upgrading my clutch for the Whipple. I used a Centerforce DFX clutch, which is pretty similar to the Spec 3 your using.

Liberty gear 26 spline input shaft
Fidanza aluminum flywheel
Lethal Performance Forged Steel TOB Retainer Sleeve
Ford Racing Heavy Duty T/O bearing
Ford Racing Heavy Duty roller pilot bearing

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I would also suggest a QR type of quadrant (Steeda or UPR, there may be others), an adjustable pivot (to make sure you have enough throw for the clutch arm, don't want to be too far forward when the TOB touches the pressure plate fingers) and the LDC Freeplay Spring (to ensure the TOB lasts as long as the clutch. I used new bolts for flywheel and pressure plate.

+1 on NOT using the Spec TOB (get a Ford Racing HD TOB). I didn't use the Spec pilot bearing either although I haven't heard anything bad about it, I went with a Ford Racing pilot bearing mainly because I didn't know Spec supplied one.

ROADSTR6

Deficient SVT Poster
Established Member
Do the anti-venom mod (washer mod) on your trans while you've got it out. Costs only a couple of bucks and makes your car shift muuuuuch better. I posted about this a while back. A quick search on "Want better shifts? Try this" will find it.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
Do the anti-venom mod (washer mod) on your trans while you've got it out. Costs only a couple of bucks and makes your car shift muuuuuch better. I posted about this a while back. A quick search on "Want better shifts? Try this" will find it.

I remember reading that. I'll have to look.

So do I have to buy new flywheel and pressure plate bolts? Just trying to find out before ordering my stuff here.

A4BLK98SS

Established Member
I remember reading that. I'll have to look.

So do I have to buy new flywheel and pressure plate bolts? Just trying to find out before ordering my stuff here.

I believe you can use the stock flywheel if you get it resurfaced. I think most people opt for an aftermarket steel or aluminum flywheel generally. Not sure on the bolts though.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
I believe you can use the stock flywheel if you get it resurfaced. I think most people opt for an aftermarket steel or aluminum flywheel generally. Not sure on the bolts though.

I plan on reusing (resurfacing) the stock flywheel. I guess I didn't word the question right :p, it was supposed to be asking if I need new flywheel bolts.

MWoods26

Established Member
Im also about due for a new clutch. I want to go 26 spline. I dont have the time, skill, or space to do it myself. Anybody in SW Ohio lookin to make a few bucks PM me a number

Users who are viewing this thread