upgrading mach 460?

EL Conquistador

Established Member
im looking at buying a new component system to replace the factory mach setup nothing to special like subs or anything just replacing factory speakers ,amps and all that, i already have a pioneer in dash so i would like to stay with pioneer or premier if possible does anybody have any suggestions or pics of their own speaker setup?

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
i have a pioneer avic d3 in my car with the stock mach speakers and two 10 inch subs in the trunk and it all sounds great together. are your speakers blown?

carnut726

Established Member
I have pioneer Avic head unit with polk audio 6.75 componants in front and 6x9 in back. I have polk audio components 5.25 in kick panels. I had to open up the holes in back and had to make a 3/4 spacer for the front in the doors so it would clear the window track. but sounds awesome.
As far as subs i put a Rockford power HX2 in the factory enclosure after i polyfilled it and gave the opening a quick once over with a rotary sander I sealed the sub in with a bead of silicone since the RF gasket would not fit in the opening.. it will pound like your getting punched in the face. I had both factory units with the Power HX2's in there but that was just rediculous. i pulled to just one.

EL Conquistador

Established Member
i have a pioneer avic d3 in my car with the stock mach speakers and two 10 inch subs in the trunk and it all sounds great together. are your speakers blown?

no my speakers arent blown but i get a popping noise from my driver side tweeter whenever the music is at a higher volume and it diddnt start untill i installed the pioneer the clarion i had before diddnt do it ive ajusted all the frequencies and nothing really helps i have the avh-p4100 model

zPipes

Established Member
Hrm.. I know the two in the trunk, but didn't know there was one in the dash. I even have an aftermarket radio lol. How could I have missed that during my install? I even ran new wires and everything haha.

racebronco2

Established Member
I don't believe there is one under the radio, when i disconnected the rear amps the front speakers sounded like crap, connected rear amp on the drivers side and front speakers sounded normal.

zPipes

Established Member
remember there are 460 and 1000 systems too. and ive only really worked on my 2001 with a 460 system. Im almost 100% sure there are only 2 amps, both located in the rear. I will double check this weekend and update yall.

MrBrain

Corner carver
Established Member
In my 99 with Mach 460, there are only two amps, both in the rear. With a little google you can even find the wiring diagram for it. I used that when I swapped out the head unit (to which I connected the 4 RCA cables for the amps with a Ford-RCA converter from ebay). So all speakers are connected via these four low level cables

bsmith782

RANDY WATSON!
Established Member
I don't know where you plan on getting your stuff from but I have had great experiences with crutchfeld. All you need to do is call then and tell them what you want and what car your doing it to and they will give you all of the hardware you need.

Hell this last go around with my cobra I didn't even buy anything from them and they sent me the installation kit for putting an aftermarket cd player in my mach 460 stereo system. but I had purchased things from them in the past for my other mustang and they might have been confused.

zPipes

Established Member
I used them alot when I was younger and had full blown stereo systems. They were good but if I recall maybe a hair on the pricey side, but service is great.

SilverNotch

Established Member
I'd like to upgrade my speakers. I have a 01 Cobra and my rears don't get loud enough or have very much bass. I want to install speakers that will fit without cutting. What size would I need for all around including the door tweeters? I want them to be louder and have more bass no subs or anything. What brand speakers are good I have never bought car speakers.

01yellercobra

Established Member
There's an amp under the head units in the 01's. I remember looking at it and thinking what a pain it's going to be to remove it. It's almost on the transmission tunnel.

konradr

Ford Mustang
Established Member
There's an amp under the head units in the 01's. I remember looking at it and thinking what a pain it's going to be to remove it. It's almost on the transmission tunnel.

I have an 01 gt, and I just removed the dash the other day. There is no amp other than the radio itself, aside from the two in the rear. On a 2000 and older, there is an amp under that radio itself. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread