Upgrading my suspension

pohnjarker

Established Member
so i picked up an upper control arm, lower control arms, relocation brackets for both, and a panhard brace...all BMR.

my question is...is there a method to the madness of installing it all, like an order that would be best or easier if put some parts in first??

i have access to a lift at the base hobby shop so that'll make it a lot easier. does it matter what lift i use, the kind that picks up the frame or the kind you drive up on and picks up the whole car??

i hope to get it done this weekend and im looking forward to a more solid ride but more importantly...no wheel hop!!!!

also, any tips or tricks would be appreciated. im not the best but i have replaced the intake and exhaust and installed the boss intake manifold so im not a total monkey with tools!!!

Last edited:

JL-KA

Established Member
monkeywrench.gif

Entrenched

Established Member
Use a two post lift unless the drive up has a suspension adapter

Support the rear end
Go inside the car, remove the rear seat and remove the upper control arm mount bolt (it's pretty hard to miss)
Remove the bolt from the sway bar links and swing it down out of the way
Loosen the panhard brace bolts
Remove the panhard bar
Remove the lower control arms
remove lower shock bolts
remove the upper to diff bolt and the two mount bolts from underneath
replace the upper and mount (do this while the rear is sagging (it's almost impossible to torque the upper to diff bolt with the suspension loaded, not the best but it was the best I could do) Speaking of torquing here are the specs Ford Service Manuals - SECTION 204-02 [Rear Suspension]
reinstall the lower shock bolts
bolt on LCA brackets and WELD them in (if you can, if not spend the money to have someone weld them on for you)
Bolt in LCAs (these need to be torqued with the suspension loaded)
Bolt in the panhard bar
tighten up the Panhard brace bolts
bolt up sway bar mounts
put car on level ground and adjust the panhard (if applicable) to center the rear end (I was able to adjust mine with the car on the ground and it's really low)
stand back and enjoy!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread