upgrading speakers

Squamishcoyote

Wheel Hoppin
Established Member
I have the shaker 1000 and I think it would be fine if the interior didn't rattle like crazy, I have the bass set at -4 and still get rattling in my car

mikestoyz

Established Member
In my old car I had kicker component speakers. Whenever I would mute my sub, it was amazing how it seemed to reduce the sound quality of the components. I will be installing an aftermarket tweeter on the front speakers and a 12" sub and amp this weekend. I suspect keeping the bass control flat on the stock reciever will give me enough volume out of the stock speakers to keep up with the sub and the tweeter will fill the void on the high end. I will report back.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
Has anyone put an amp the the shelby/kicker door subs? I recently put the kicker 6x8s in and I have been wanting to do something with a little more bass. I have done the whole 2 12's in a big arse box before, but I am way past that. I just want some more solid bass without sounding like a teenager at red lights with a huge, unbalanced system.
The enclosures in the doors are the right size for those kickers, and they can take 200 watts RMS. I have an old Infinty Kappa amp that is stable down to 1 ohm, so sending them 150 watts each would be easy and I could just play with the gain easily enough. I know I could throw a single 10" in the back in a sealed box and just bridge the amp, but that seems a little cheesy (for me).

Thoughts?

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Looked at the Shelby setup before going a different route. The Shelby stuff doesn't match the 2011+ interior well IMO. I purchased some JL Audio subs which will work with the stock grill covers/rings. They also fit in the stock enslosures (ZR800's).

Bigger problem is ohm and phasing issus. You pretty much need to replace the speakers and amp as a unit since stock stuff is 1.2 ohm, dvc with some sort of whacky phasing. Not much space where the stock amp is mounted but something small like the JL XD will probably fit. I wound up mounting amps in the trunk since I already had the Shaker 1000 setup.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
BTW, all Shaker sub outputs are mono so you could get away with a single channel amp as well.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
I thought about the ZR800s, but the spec sheet makes them look more of a mid-bass (50-500hz). Granted, I don't know if the Kicker CVT's will really dig down to 25, especially at a +/-3db. Also, I thought the stock grills were part of the stock speaker? They certainly appeared to be when I swapped pulled the ring off to install the 6x8s.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
According to the manual:

"designed to operate in automotive sound systems reproducing the frequency range between 30 Hz and 400 Hz. ...dedicated mid-bass or full woofer". To your point, not sure anything is going to play full sub frequencies in the door regardless.

The stock Ford grill will come apart from woofer, no issues there. One bolt in the back which couldn't be reused but I just sealed the hole.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread