Upgrading the sound system in Marauder

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I am tired of Ford's crappy sound system in my Marauder.

What Subwoofers/Amps/Speakers would you recommend? I already have a Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH (uninstalled.) Budget is around $700-1200.

Last edited:

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Sound costs money kid, how loud you wanna be?

Seriously though, I'd say put 6.5" speakers all around, and what do you want to do for a sub?

This is what I did as a hold over. The stock sub would distort horribly because of my X930BT, so I did a simple upgrade

Factory sub box modding 101 - Motor City Marauders

The only thing I'd do different if I could do it over again is get a 2ohm sub. Otherwise, its better then stock and sounds clearer. But if you want blow out the window bass, then this is not for you. The 2 12's in my bronco put my car to shame lol

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
haha.

Thanks for the link, I will definetly do that mod to the sub box.

BTW: Who did the projectors for your headlights and how much did it run you? That is a mod I wanted to do for a very long time.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
haha.

Thanks for the link, I will definetly do that mod to the sub box.

BTW: Who did the projectors for your headlights and how much did it run you? That is a mod I wanted to do for a very long time.

I built the headlights, I think it cost me around 700+ in parts but I also did some not standard stuff.

boatmangc

Established Member
I installed Infinity Kappa 6x8 in the front doors, Infinity Kappa 6x9 s in the rears, I had to open the holes in the rear deck a tiny bit and I also had to make a 1/4" spacer on the DS rear speaker to clear the trunk springs.
I did the 8" Pioneer Premier shallow mount sub in the stock box, added a 400w Pioneer Premier amp for the speakers and an Infinity 1300a amp 200watt for the sub, sounds excellent.
I bought speakers on eBay on the cheap, bought the sub amp from a mm.net member for 125 I bought the main amp new from John at Pops stereo in Michigan. I thing I ended up right in your price range when I was done and I am finally happy with the sound system.

Look for my posts on mm.net for details.
I listen to mainly alternative and some metal. My combo is great for that, if you are listening to hip hop/ heavy bass. Don't bother trying to make the factory sub work, toss it.

musclemerc

Established Member
Try to stay away from shallow subs. They have a flappy bass line that truly sounds like crap and get worse as the volume goes higher

Here is what I did to get a real sub to fit inside of a stock sub enclosure
New Sub Woofer Upgrade - MercuryMarauder.net Forums

Dated: 12/19/2010 :)

Find some JL audio separates if you want to splurge on replacement door/trunklid speakers. Cost effective go with a set of Infinity Kappa's

boatmangc

Established Member
Try to stay away from shallow subs. They have a flappy bass line that truly sounds like crap and get worse as the volume goes higher

Here is what I did to get a real sub to fit inside of a stock sub enclosure
New Sub Woofer Upgrade - MercuryMarauder.net Forums

Dated: 12/19/2010 :)

Find some JL audio separates if you want to splurge on replacement door/trunklid speakers. Cost effective go with a set of Infinity Kappa's

Without replacing the sub amp the shallow mount pioneer was definitely flappy as you call it. With an amp I would be willing to bet it sounds better than your JL with the stock amp.
Certainly with my amp your JL would sound much better than the shallow mount I used.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Personally I'd rather have a space saver 10" box then a 6.5 or 8" in the stock box, I only did mine as a hold over so I wouldn't have to listen to the stock cone distort so heavily.

musclemerc

Established Member
Without replacing the sub amp the shallow mount pioneer was definitely flappy as you call it.
So we agree shallow subs sound like shit...
With an amp I would be willing to bet it sounds better than your JL with the stock amp.
Were not talking hypothetical's here. Add the same aftermarket amp to my JL audio sub and it will sound better than a shallow sub
Certainly with my amp your JL would sound much better than the shallow mount I used.
I agree, this is what I said from the beginning :rockon:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread