Upper/Lower guys!! Got a question?

Brad00L

Established Member
I put on a LFP 4lb Lower kit on my car about 2 weeks ago. In the instructions it said that when running a smaller upper blower pulley to use the upper idler hole.

It seems that a lot of upper/lower guys are running the idler in the lower position. Is there a reason for this or is that the way you just put it on.

Do you think that maybe the idler in the upper position may cause more belt wrap around the lower. But also cause more drag?? And do you really need the belt wrap around the huge lower?

Brad

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Here's the way I see it:
The upper and lower holes change the amount of belt wrap an insignificant amount, so I don't see that as being a reason to select one hole over the other, but what I have found is that if you change from a 4 lb lower to a 6 lb lower you can just move the belt to the lower hole and use the same belt size. No need to keep 2 different size belts on hand.

So, with the 4 lb lower that is currently installed, I have the idler pulley in the upper position, and when I change to the 6 lb lower, I move it to the lower position.
The only problem with this is that the idler bracket has to be removed to change the location of the idler pulley each time.

I would have thought that a better mounting system could have been devised so that was not necessary, but...

Dana

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
How much is this kit at LFP? Or, who has the best price and product for this setup?

HotRod(uh oh...what am I thinking now)Harry

dougwg

Established Member
I turned a customer tword Metco.... Aaron gave him a great deal

dougwg

Established Member
Originally posted by Dana
I would have thought that a better mounting system could have been devised so that was not necessary, but...

Dana

Good idea... I think we'll rig something up on Postbans car so we can do just that

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Doug,
Maybe a mounting piece that contains both upper and lower pulley mounts would do the job. It would have to machined/grooved to accept the outer radius of the pulley.
Not sure if this bracket would interfere with the route of the belt when the pulley was in the upper position. You'd have to check.
I'd happily test it out for you. I have both the 4 & 6 lb lower riings.

Dan

jeffsvt

Established Member
I had the same question about mine when I installed it . I called Aaron at Metco and he told me they like to put the idler in the lower position when using a upper/lower combo . So that's where I put it .

Last edited:

trey193

Established Member
Almost everyone I have talked with uses the lower postion. High Roller runs the 2.80 & 2lb lower with no idlers what so ever other than stock and he gets no belt dust at all. I am installing my lower this week and will use the lower setting with less wrap around the crank pulley!

jeffsvt

Established Member
Originally posted by Brad00L
jeffsvt: Did he give a reason why?

Actually I never really asked why . But I'm sure he would be more than welcome to answer any questions you have . He's a very nice guy !

Richo

"Ford Parts Whore"
Established Member
Brad, I have the LFP lower kit and have installed a few. I have only used the lower idler location. Either one will work!!! Good luck!!!

fubu795

Banned
I just got done installing mine last night, I used the lower whole, I went with the 2lb pulley and used a gaterback 76" belt

trey193

Established Member
Fubu ae you using any idlers at all?? Was the 76 gator a tight fit??? HOws it ride on the tensioner??

Users who are viewing this thread