Upper Pulley Install--Tonight!!!

JoyRydn 03

Established Member
I have my 2004 Cobra with 9000 miles for almost a year! Tonight I'm doing the Upper Pulley install, I bought the RR 2.80/ 100mm Metco idler and a Dayco poly cog 74" belt and the Diablo.

My Mods this far are

KN CAI
Borla Stingers C/B

TR-6 plugs (gap .32)
Air Lift bags (both sides)
Nitto 315DR's

My question is this? How do I know when the pulley is on correctly? I want to make sure that the new pulley is inline to avoid the belt shred.

Thanks

04SLOBRA1

RESPECT IS EARNED
Established Member
with my billetflow I pressed it back on so the shaft and hub were flush with each other and have had no problems.

funtruck

I Hate Mustangs
Established Member
Good Luck with the install. I'm preparing to do my cobra also. What are your plans for getting it tuned afterwards?

Also out of curiosity, what's the purpose of the Air Lift Bags on the Mustang. I have them on my truck but on a sports car?

JoyRydn 03

Established Member
funtruck said:
Good Luck with the install. I'm preparing to do my cobra also. What are your plans for getting it tuned afterwards?

Also out of curiosity, what's the purpose of the Air Lift Bags on the Mustang. I have them on my truck but on a sports car?

Thanks.

I plan on using the can tune from the Diablo for now. Once I get the pulley on the car, I'll buy a pull on Dyno to check A/F it should still be way fat! If all is good I won't pop the big money for a custom tune until I port the blower.

The Airlift bags alont with the nittos have helped cutdown the wheelhop and helps plant the rearend better improving traction. Not people use them, the two cars I have seen them on, both ported blower cars with bolt ons went 10.98'-11:20's with 1.55-1.64 60ft times. So for $75 what the hell? And I'm glad I did.....

ViciousJay

Established Member
JoyRydn 03 said:
Thanks.

I plan on using the can tune from the Diablo for now. Once I get the pulley on the car, I'll buy a pull on Dyno to check A/F it should still be way fat! If all is good I won't pop the big money for a custom tune until I port the blower.

it will be WAYYYY LEAN I guarantee... dont pulley if if you cant get a custom tune on there...

JoyRydn 03

Established Member
Gladiator said:
it will be WAYYYY LEAN I guarantee... dont pulley if if you cant get a custom tune on there...

yeah the whole tune thing is got me scared! i don't want to smoke a $10k motor over $140 pulley.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm all over the A/F ratio..

JoyRydn 03

Established Member
mavereq said:
who did you get them through?

I got them here.

http://www.laurelmountainmustang.com/index-1024.htm

I think it was $75 shipped for the pair. Nice people to work with.

Real easy install. Took me about an hour, could be done sooner. Jack the rear up (one side at a time) to expand the spring, remove the wheel. There's a nipple on the bag covering the air inlet tube, compress the bag till there's no air in it put the nipple back on, and work it between the spring coils with the air inlet tube pointing up (this will take some muscle). Once it's in remove the nipple and the bag will inflate add the spacer and the air line and it a wrap.

airbag1.jpg
[/IMG]

JoyRydn 03

Established Member
Guys! The install went very well !!! No problems. Funny thing! I had two of my buddies help, they both have 04's. I start the car after the tune is in. The car has a lite whistle to it everytime you hit the gas!! The blower is louder now abd it was this whistle that sounds awesome and the both have pullied cobras with no whistle. It's been raining here in chit-town and I've not even tested it yet!! I don't drive the car in the rain.
Can't wait til its dry!!! :pepper: :pepper:

JoyRydn 03

Established Member
virginiafiveo said:
that's cool shat right there. if it helped with wheel hop that much I might be getting me some of them.....

Thanks Bama!

Although the best gard against wheel hop is a savvy driver. I've seen way to many people try and drive through the wheel hop!!! "News Flash!" Doesn't happen people.

These bags will set you back about $75 and they do help, add the other supporting mods like the IRS Brace, MotoBlue's rear end brace, IRS Brackets, pinon snubber, and get that IRS located with the least amount of movement and you should be ok.

Just my .02

Thanks for all the help guys! If you're ever in chi-town I'm buying the beer.

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
Air Lift bags

JoyRydn 03 said:
I got them here.
http://www.laurelmountainmustang.com/index-1024.htm
I think it was $75 shipped for the pair. Nice people to work with.
Hey, JoyRydn, I checked out the web site you listed but can't find the Air bags, do you have a brand or part number? And are they sold individually or in pairs? I've heard of solid axle guys using them only in the right rear, but with the IRS I think two would work better...

AirForce Hemi

Kenne Bell FTW
Established Member
Cobra-21 said:
Hey, JoyRydn, I checked out the web site you listed but can't find the Air bags, do you have a brand or part number? And are they sold individually or in pairs? I've heard of solid axle guys using them only in the right rear, but with the IRS I think two would work better...

+1

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
JoyRydn 03 said:
Thanks Bama!

Although the best gard against wheel hop is a savvy driver. I've seen way to many people try and drive through the wheel hop!!! "News Flash!" Doesn't happen people.

These bags will set you back about $75 and they do help, add the other supporting mods like the IRS Brace, MotoBlue's rear end brace, IRS Brackets, pinon snubber, and get that IRS located with the least amount of movement and you should be ok.

Just my .02

Thanks for all the help guys! If you're ever in chi-town I'm buying the beer.

I just installed a 2.81 steeda upper and BF idler set. mine whistles now too. its sounds badass and the blower screams! congrats on the new power!!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread