UPR differential spherical bushing vs Steeda's

NoSlo5oH

Established Member
I have a question for those of you who are running a UPR and/or Steeda brand bushing for the UCA in their rear end housing. Did you guys have free-play between the bushing inserts and inside rear portion of the UCA? I mocked mine up and noticed that there's about an 1/8" of play. I am trying to figure out if I can shim it or just tighten it down to close the gap? It almost seems like the inserts that go on either side of the spherical bushing are about 1/16" too short.

BMR Tech

If it is 1/8"......tighten it down to 130ft lbs and be done.

Do not use washers.

NoSlo5oH

Established Member
If it is 1/8"......tighten it down to 130ft lbs and be done.

Do not use washers.

Ok thanks Kelly. Couple more questions for you. Is it common for all UCAs to have a little free-play regardless of the manufacturer? If so, why?

BMR Tech

In my experiences within the aftermarket, it is pretty common for Mustang Suspension pieces on '79 to Current platforms.

As for why, well, it is MUCH easier for a company to make their control arm collars/brackets slightly over size. Coating thickness can vary, OEM tolerances can vary, the manufacturing process of the company's UCA end can vary, etc.

It is much easier for us to tell a customer to tighten it down snug, compared to "pry it apart" to get it to fit. Or, having to tell someone to grind their coating off of the part before they install it.....so it can slide over the mounting point.

I have installed many of ours, and they usually fit pretty good. I have never noticed an excessive gap on our UCA Collars.

If you were referring to something else, when you say "free-play" - I apologize....and please explain.

dead man walkin

Established Member
Yeah, an 1/8 inch .. that's nothing. . Imagine a company trying to make a part for a car where they sell 3,000 to 6,000 a month! What fits perfect on one won't fit another.. guessing tolerance stack ups ... geez.. The fact that every BMR piece I have heard of bolts right on.. that's good engineering. . Because let's me tell you... All the parts on the car... Some of those pieces didn't bolt right on...

Users who are viewing this thread