Upset with JLT ram air install

Unoid

Established Member
The fitment of the JLT ram air is extremely hard to get to work. the clamps are undersized in certain parts. I am having a horrible time trying to get it in and attached to the t-body.

Even worse the little boost air plug on the outer upper left, the nipple on the pipe snapped in half when I was putting on the tubing. I'll have to try to superglue it and very delicately put on the tubing.

I've never had such a horrible experience trying to get a simple intake on a car.

the JLT ram air for the lightning I bought was even hard to get on and adjusted.

Anyone else experience such problems and frustration?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
They can be a PIA to install.

You just have to take your time and go slow.

But its worth it.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
just put everything on loose first....then tighten it when you get it right....me personally, I think it works better if you have someone else to help you....I wish I had four hands when I did mine.

jcobra

Established Member
Yeah its a PITA, took me 2 hours to get mine on. Check your a/f when you get a chance, mine was really lean down low after I installed it.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I put on the JLT CAI and it also is a PITA. The pipe rubs on the passenger side head. Did you wet the elbows with soapy water, helped mine a little, still hard to get the elbow on the TB all the way around.

Unoid

Established Member
it seems like the pipe with the gromets and holes don't line up right, they hit either the valve cover, or the metal by the shock-top.

Edit: Got it installed, but barely. The fitment isn't right but its in and clamped. Superglue worked on the vacuum nipple.

Problem: Heatshield wont fit over the filter like it should, the positioning is all off. I think its due to the rubber elbow at the throttlebody not twisted in right direction. I give up for now, maybe next week I'll reinstall it. I'll leave heatshield off for now. doubt it affects much.

Enginebay:
cobra-engine.jpg

How the elbow won't fit right , I didn't find any air leaking through at least son it should be good.:
jlt-rai-prob.jpg

Last edited:

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
Try sliding the band clamp a little toward the front of the car (coupler to pips). The fit will not be perfect, I had the same thing happen. You may notice some paint wearing off of the strut tower. No big deal, you will be happy with the HP gains.

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
The dyno #s are always great with JLT, but I always hear what a pain in the a$$ they are to install. Although, the Carbon fiber intake looks titties, I think I'll stick with a 9" power stack filter.

Lord Warlock

Established Member
I installed mine in two pieces, fitted all the parts together first to ensure they fit ok, then broke it apart in the middle just behind the reducer hose to the mas/maf, then eased it on the throttlebody, and then put the filter end in, and the two pieces met in the middle like this / \ and slowly pushed it down while fitting the two ends together, and it fit snug and happy in the engine bay. Once everything was together, then i tightened the clamps. I used the factory clamp on the throttlebody.

Once its installed, you can really hear the blower now, unlike before when you could barely hear it except under hard acceleration.

Last edited:

SNAKE CHARM

Alcohol Fueled Brutality
Established Member
I can see what you are talking about, I had a few issues but nothing to bad.Over all it fit's very good and the shield covers fine.I first tried to put it together in 2 pieces then I just left it in one put the filter all the way towards the headlight and then slide the elbow over the TB,no rubbing on anything.I just changed plugs before the tune and I had it on and off in no time all in one piece.:shrug: I think after you get it on there you can make your adjustments to fit better.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
I put my on and had the same issues! I just left it and then TRBO VNM was doing a pulley swap for me and put it on right!

coild

Established Member
K&N FIPK II went on in minutes.

FIPK FTW!!!!!!!!!
Installation was less than 30 minutes and the fitment was perfect!
Works great and love the results!

TRBO VNM

it all fits fine. just very tight and you need to take your time and don't get frustrated. if so, walk away and come back to it. the ram air's are very easy to install, but you need to make sure all the parts are rotated correctly or it won't fit right and just piss you off. it is a proven kit and looks great.

Pure03Venom

Imma Ho...
Established Member
My RAI kit was no problem to install..the head shield took some finagling, but it did eventually go in.

The CAI I just put on was a total PITA until I decided to go back and install it in the "recommended" steps in the instructions.

My High Boost CAI kit would not go in at all....but I think now that I have installed the regular CAI kit, I think I could get the high boost kit in. I will probably be buying one when I go whipple or juice.

RedfireSVT

Established Member
coild said:
K&N FIPK II went on in minutes.

FIPK FTW!!!!!!!!!
Installation was less than 30 minutes and the fitment was perfect!
Works great and love the results!
+1 on that and in my honest opinion i think the k&n setup looks better.

spincobra03

Established Member
I have the k&n it might have taken me 20 mintues, looking at the power gains, install time and price the K&N seems to make more sense.

Users who are viewing this thread