**Urgent**New Mcleod 26 spline and mgw,car wont go into gear

da2k17

Established Member
I got the clutch from lethal Mcleod 99-04 Mustang Street Twin Clutch Kit (26 Spline-8 Bolt) [MCL-63308-00-07-C] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs
with a 26 spline liberty input shaft and mgw. the car wont go into gear when its running, if you try to push the car slightly moves forward so im guessing its not releasing. what do i do? i have the stock adjuster and i did the self adjustment on that with no luck, i searched and couldnt find any solutions.

this is the thing that holding my back from breaking in my new motor, the car has been down for 8 months. i want to drive it so bad......

beastmar

Established Member
how should it go? i put it in just like the stock one was

You probably put in back incorrectly. I can't quite remember how the TOB is positioned but I know it took me a while to realize how to do it. Someone will chime in with the correct way. Or GOOGLE is always your best friend.

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
did you shim the pivot ball?
you probably need to do that, if that does'nt work then try an aftermarket adjuster/quadrant.

da2k17

Established Member
You probably put in back incorrectly. I can't quite remember how the TOB is positioned but I know it took me a while to realize how to do it. Someone will chime in with the correct way. Or GOOGLE is always your best friend.

i put the new one i exatclty as the old one looked/ was in

is there slack on the clutch cable? maybe you need a clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster
no slack, i adjusted the stock adjuster as far as i can. the clutch feels like everyone says the mcleod should but it wont go in gear

did you shim the pivot ball?
you probably need to do that, if that does'nt work then try an aftermarket adjuster/quadrant.

no it was really long and i had to cut it. i measured it to the stock one so its dead even.

the firewall adjuster is essentially doing the same thing i am by adjusting the plastic stock tensioner, right?

mobius

CDM 2009
Established Member
Look through the inspection hole and see where the tob is in relation to the pressure plate fingers. Have someone press on the clutch and watch the travel , make sure it all looks like it is working properly. Initially the tob should be touching the fingers or very close...

da2k17

Established Member
the tob was put on wrong, we pulled the trans and fixed it, it was under the tabs instead of on them. BUT it didnt fix my problem, now the car wont go into gear even when the engine isnt running. i have no idea what else could be wrong.

da2k17

Established Member
the only thing i can think of is the pivot ball. the mcleod came with a new pivot ball at least double the length of the original. i adjusted it to be exactly the same length as the one that was already installed. does the mcleod need it to be longer? the instructions didnt say anything about it so i assumed it would need to be the same as the other one.

da2k17

Established Member
now im reading that the pivot ball should be shorter with the twin disks because they are thicker than stock, i guess thats what i will try tomorrow. ive ripped most of my hair out trying to get this car up and running and i really dont know what to do at this point, no shops were opened to call by the time we got the trans back in and found out it didnt work again.

Last edited:

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
disconnect the clutch cable from the fork and crawl under the car and press the clutch fork with your foot you should be able to put the clutch through an entire range of motion and you should be able to feel it engage. this will atleast help determine where the issue is be it the clutch linkage or the clutch setup

da2k17

Established Member
trans if half out right now trying to adjust the pivot ball. i remember when we first tried to hook up the clutch cable we couldnt move the shift fork forward to save our lives. i think that confirms the pivot ball is to far forward and needs to be shortened. im going to shorten it by 4mm according to this thread http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...utch-install-how-do-right-real-info-pics.html

i hope this works. although im getting really good and fast at removing the tranny.....

da2k17

Established Member
we adjusted the pivot ball farther out, the clutch feels better but still wont go in gear. i guess ill try to shorten it. i dont know what else could be wrong unless my pressure plate is defective

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member
Man, I know your pain... There was no exact measurement that I found online that worked... it took several tries adjusting the pivot ball and adjusting my firewall adjuster to get it just right... even today with the clutch on the floor with the car in neutral, when i begin to push it in to first gear, i feel the car slightly try to move forward but that's the best I could get it. I called McLeod and they said that is fine... But one thing I will say to end on a positive note, that clutch is the BEST clutch I have ever owned... especially mated with an MGW. Clutch pedal feels lighter than stock, surprisingly doesn't grab crazy hard on normal takeoffs (like my Centerforces) and doesn't chatter one bit (like my Specs)... and it will take whatever you throw at it at the track... don't let these adjustment issues discourage you about the clutch, the twin disks are a pain to adjust but it is well worth the investment. I still will highly recommend this clutch to anyone with a high hp car...

Good luck bud.

~Steve

da2k17

Established Member
we adjusted twice more with no change so we took the clutch completely off and started over and something ****ing got changed cause now it goes in gear. so i dont know what happened but it works, it engages very high so the pivot ball will still need to be adjusted but at least i got somewhere with it. im at 34mm right now and will probably drop to 31mm. i hope its worth it, ill be around 7-8 times in and out when im finished...

rudycobra

Established Member
I didn't get a pivot ball with mine . Was I supposed to ? Bought the rxt with steel lightened flwheel and liberty 26 . Guess I'll c tonight when I put new cable on and try it out .

rudycobra

Established Member
So is the stock one adjustable ?? I did put tranny back in and did notice that the tob was touching the fingers , didn't look like putting much pressure on them but deff touching . Do I need pull out tranny and adjust it shorter if possible ??

da2k17

Established Member
stock one is not adjustable. thats about how mine is now, touching with little pressure and the clutch engages very high. from what ive read it should be 1/8 inch away from touching or very very loosely touching.

Users who are viewing this thread