USAF Combat Control

D-MoNeY23

Established Member
I am really want to be in combat control but my swimming isnt the best but my run time and everything else it up to standard as far as the past test. I was wondering is there anything I can do to still be able to get into combat control? I am currently working and improving my swim time. Also Is there anyone that can tell me about their time in combat control?

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I'm in no way associated with CCT.

That being said, from everything I've read/seen the water is the killer.
Here is some threads that might help.
Swimming & Water Confidence - Pararescue, Combat Control, CRO, STO, SERE, SOWT, ALO and TACP Information & Guidance: Specialtactics.com

+1 I've commonly heard that no one quits on land. It's the time spent in the pool that gets most guys. After watching surviving the cut for both Army SOF dive school and AF SOF dive school I'm convinced that those are the hardest schools in the military.

HeyNow!

Established Member
I've got a buddy in CCT.

And just like the PJ's, you basically need to swim like a fish.

If swimming isn't your strong suit, look into TACP/JTAC.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
Meeting minimums are rarely even remotely close enough to being enough to pass. Some have the heart to make it enough, most don't. Once you can comfortably pass the minimums, then I'd consider stepping up your training to entail the other things needed to pass the course, and most importantly, survive in the real world.

D-MoNeY23

Established Member
Well Since i'm not the best swimmer would it be best to go in as E.O.D and cross train over when I am able to while I improve me swim time

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Well Since i'm not the best swimmer would it be best to go in as E.O.D and cross train over when I am able to while I improve me swim time

I'd say no.
If you want to do CCT go TACP and once you can retrain try to make the move.
EOD has zero things in common with CCT, TACP is at least in the same ballpark.

Also, I don't really feel like EOD is a job that you take to hold you over.

Last edited:

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
Dude you need to do some serious research into what career paths you want to go in. I cannot tell how many times a kid sat in my office and told me he wanted to be a combat rescue officer or a special tactics officer. Guess how many we commissioned last year out of the 2200 officers we commissioned in ROTC last year- 2. 1 CRO and 1 STO nationwide. And both of them were prior enlisted in the respective career fields. Best of luck to you though, and as many have stated, the minimums simply are not good enough.

Last edited:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Dude you need to do some serious research into what career paths you want to go in. I cannot tell how many times a kid sat in my office and told me he wanted to be a combat rescue officer or a special tactics officer. Guess how many we commissioned last year out of the 2200 officers we commissioned in ROTC last year- 2. 1 CRO and 1 STO nationwide. And both of them were prior enlisted in the respective career fields. Best of luck to you though, and as many have stated, the minimums simply are not good enough.

Damn thats it?! I'm guessing they are short on CRO and STO officers as a whole. What about ALO? I imagine those 3 jobs are not that sought after in the AF. When most people think of special operations they tend to think about Army and Navy and not so much Air Force.

OP if you really want to be CCT then go for it right off the bat. But prepare yourself mentally and physically. If you're swimming is that weak then join a local YMCA or something and get swim lessons. If you want it that bad then you will do whatever it takes to get there. If you decide you want to join anyway then maybe crossover later then perhaps TACP would be the best option. Shit hot TACP's can eventually become SOF if they pass assessment and selection but that is a very small and rare bunch. Those guys are typically assigned to support the 75th RGR. Vs CCT who are typically assigned to support Army Special Forces and Navy SEALs. Now I'm not an expert by any means but maybe you should go here Pararescue, Combat Control, CRO, STO, SERE, SOWT, ALO and TACP Information & Guidance: Specialtactics.com - Forums powered by UBB.threads™ for info and answers. After all this is SVTP, a forum for Ford performance vehicle enthusiasts.

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
Now that they have made ALO a seperate pipeline to keep the pilots in the jet, the need for ALOs has gone up. They are creating a empire right now and trying to make a name for the ALO career field. The try outs for ALO is not really to cosmic and most officers have the ability to become TACP qual'd. Cool career field for sure.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member

You're being too scatterbrained. The jobs aren't even related. Combat controllers and PJ's go through the same training which is the AF "BUDS". EOD is a school that is very long and takes you down a totally different path. You need to soul search and figure out what you want.

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
If youre not VERY comfortable in the water, youre going to be in for a big surprise. The pool is an equalizer man. Guys that have little issues getting through most of their training drop like flys once they hit the pool.. Like others have said, look into TACP (no dive school etc), although youre going to spend most of your time attached to an army/marine element, and typically there are 1-2 of you attached to them as opposed to the way PJ/CCT operate. Im not saying you cant or wont make it, but the washout rate is rather high. Stay motivated and learn and apply everything they teach you and you can succeed. Also as others have said, you need to be well above the minumum standards PT-wise or youre going to fall behind the pack and hold your team up, and thats the last thing you want to do. GL with whatever you choose to do :beer:

Last edited:

speedsun

Established Member
There's a reason that CCT guys are very proud of their "dive bubble". The water training is probably one of the most intense and challenging courses known.

If you are questioning yourself then I would recommend not doing it.

OU812

Established Member
One of my best friends is a CCT guy, he said the hardest part for him was the ATC training. They had an extremely high washout rate for that portion of the training, it was so high that they decided to make it the first class you take after the indoc course.

Users who are viewing this thread