USAF Flying Job

usafimj

Established Member
Anyone on here have a flying job in the Air Force. Right now I'm aircraft maintenance and just ready a new job. By the time I leave my current duty station (Germany) I'll be at my 10yr mark and God willing I'll be a Tech Sgt (E-6). Looking into cross training into Flight Engineer (FE), Loadmaster, Aerial Gunner, Air Battle Management (ABM), or UAV Sensor Op even though you don't fly for this job. Wouldn't mind going to Spec Ops side of the house. Just looking for any info on any of these jobs? What you like/dislike? Pros/Cons of the aircraft you fly on?

Thanks,
Israel

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I'm a UAV Sensor Operator that cross-trained from Maintenance 5 years ago. If you want to wear flight suits, get a form of flight incentive pay, and do some pretty cool shit yet never leave the ground then UAVs is where it's at. However if you actually want to travel alot then you're better off with a real flying job.

It's a bit ridiculous that we are subject to all the same rules as real flyers though, still can't do anything without the flight doc's say so.

The best parts of this job are classified so obviously can't discuss anything here. I can answer any general questions you have though.

usafimj

Established Member
I'm a UAV Sensor Operator that cross-trained from Maintenance 5 years ago. If you want to wear flight suits, get a form of flight incentive pay, and do some pretty cool shit yet never leave the ground then UAVs is where it's at. However if you actually want to travel alot then you're better off with a real flying job.

It's a bit ridiculous that we are subject to all the same rules as real flyers though, still can't do anything without the flight doc's say so.

The best parts of this job are classified so obviously can't discuss anything here. I can answer any general questions you have though.

You know coming from Mx and going tdy a lot is a way of life. I'm sure I can deal without going tdy but thats what makes things fun. I'm sure you understand

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
You know coming from Mx and going tdy a lot is a way of life. I'm sure I can deal without going tdy but thats what makes things fun. I'm sure you understand

Oh you can still go TDY in this career field, but it's pretty much at your leisure (for the Guard anyway). The best thing about the UAV field is that most units are undermanned so you can volunteer to help them out for awhile. I spent 3 months in Tucson in '10 and have also been to other units stateside. You can even volunteer to deploy with another unit's LRE if you want.

Also, I should caveat this with saying all my UAV experience has been full-time Guard, the AD does things a little differently. I know their work schedules suck from what I've seen at the other units. Another thing to think about is the 24/7 365 shift work, not sure what schedule your MXG is doing now.

ringo01

Established Member
Have you thought about going Officer?

I am currently training to be a Combat Systems Officer (formerly Navigator). I have quite a few prior enlisted in my class, although I am not.

I am not sure what it's like on the enlisted side of flying careers, but it's extremely competitive on the officer side. Flight pay is nice, but as said above everything having to go by the flight doc is not.

If you have any questions about the officer side of things I will be glad to help, otherwise good luck! Flying is fun.

usafimj

Established Member
I've thought about doing the officer thing but by the time I'm done with my bachelors I'll be over the age limit to apply for pilot, wso, or abm. The only thing I would try for would be a Mx officer since I'm already in the Mx career field.

speedsun

Established Member
I think prior MX gets a lil bit more priority when it comes to jobs like FE. Atleast thats what it looks like when you submit a retraining request. I would stay away from spec ops side tho. I just dislike the tempo, especially with the cv's. But I'm still mx :(

JeremyAlan

Naked SVT Poster
Established Member
^I work with Speedsun on the CV-22, I'm thinking about going FE as well, spec ops can suck, a lot. Most of our 7 levels deploy once a year and get denied cross training all the time. kinda sucks.

usafimj

Established Member
I think prior MX gets a lil bit more priority when it comes to jobs like FE. Atleast thats what it looks like when you submit a retraining request. I would stay away from spec ops side tho. I just dislike the tempo, especially with the cv's. But I'm still mx :(

^I work with Speedsun on the CV-22, I'm thinking about going FE as well, spec ops can suck, a lot. Most of our 7 levels deploy once a year and get denied cross training all the time. kinda sucks.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm not dead set on AFSOC. If I do get FE I would like to get c130, kc10, or awacs (wife is from tinker). UAV Sensor Op is a really close second. One of the few things that kinda bothers me sensor op is being stuck inside all day but at the same time you are right there in the fight so to say.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Thanks for the input guys. I'm not dead set on AFSOC. If I do get FE I would like to get c130, kc10, or awacs (wife is from tinker). UAV Sensor Op is a really close second. One of the few things that kinda bothers me sensor op is being stuck inside all day but at the same time you are right there in the fight so to say.

Yes the whole working in a windowless SCIF does suck. I sometimes miss my old flightline job except when it's 30 or 100 degrees outside!

OU812

Established Member
If you want to get promoted at a decent rate stay away from flying jobs, average time to make MSgt for a FE is 18 years, it's even longer for gunners! I had my package done for the gunner job and changed my mind after talking to some of those guys, the job would be cool as hell but I don't want to retire as a TSgt. If you're maintenance try to be a FCC, I did that for 4 years at my last base, I got all the perks of flying and didn't have to deal with the BS at home station since I was never there.

Users who are viewing this thread