Used OEM 03-04 Cobra Chin Spoiler

craneb4

Established Member
Hey everyone,

I have up for grabs the chin spoiler off my 03 Cobra. Long story short, I tried refinishing it myself. I had sanded and prepped it nicely so all scuffs and scrapes were removed. I tried using Plasti-Dip for the finishing product (first time every using the stuff) but I made two mistakes (mind you I'm better with mechanics than painting).

1) Temperature was too cold so it did not finish smooth (shame on me for trying to paint when it's 40 degrees outside).
2) I applied the coats too thin.

This combination makes it more time-consuming to peel off the old Plasti-Dip. It doesn't peel off nicely as one piece, you have to peel it in little sections at a time. At the time I was frustrated and impatient so I went ahead and just bought a new one. I'm sure with some patience and maybe with the help of some sand paper, the old Plasti-Dip can properly be removed and refinished however the new owner pleases.

Trying to unload it for $100 shipped with PayPal fees included (new they are $400). This is perfect for someone who is good at refinishing things and would like to save some money.

Chin 1.JPG

Chin 2.JPG

Chin 3.JPG

NOTE: The peeling in the pictures is the Plasti-Dip, not scrapes or scratches!

so_r_crazy

Established Member
If you actually wipe down and repaint with more plasti-dip and leave a thicker coat, once dryed it will peel off easier and remove the old thin layer with it.

On a this type of part that will be subject to scrapes and rocks, if it is truly smooth, it would be better to dye or even paint with an under coating/bed liner that dries somewhat smooth.

craneb4

Established Member
If you actually wipe down and repaint with more plasti-dip and leave a thicker coat, once dryed it will peel off easier and remove the old thin layer with it.

On a this type of part that will be subject to scrapes and rocks, if it is truly smooth, it would be better to dye or even paint with an under coating/bed liner that dries somewhat smooth.

Thanks for the tips. If I cannot sell it as is, I have a friend that will refinish it for me and I'll sell it refinished (and give him a cut of course, lol). I was just seeing if I can unload it as is to get it out of my hair.

so_r_crazy

Established Member
Thanks for the tips. If I cannot sell it as is, I have a friend that will refinish it for me and I'll sell it refinished (and give him a cut of course, lol). I was just seeing if I can unload it as is to get it out of my hair.

No problem, tip was for you or buyer to help those that may want but fear having to take time to remove plasti-dip.

Users who are viewing this thread