using a tune for a 98 cobra on a 96 cobra

jakesspv6

Established Member
I was hoping you guys could help me out with a quick question. I am swapping the motor/tranny out of my wrecked 98 cobra to my new 96 cobra roller. The motor out of my 98 cobra is a forged motor with 9:1 compression and I had to get a tune and such for it. My question is, will I be able to use the same tune on the 96 cobra since it is getting all the same drivetrain? or would I have to get it retuned all over again? Would I be able to use the tune just to break in the motor for a little while before the retune?

Thanks
-Jake

BobCat

Established Member
No...the processors are totally different. If the original tune had single speed fuel pumps and they were setup correctly then you could in fact swap the ECM's. re-link or disable PATS and change a couple pins around on the ECM harness and get it up and running. Any attempt to "flash" the 96 ECM will either fail or result in a no-start condition.

Zacharyx

Established Member
No...the processors are totally different. If the original tune had single speed fuel pumps and they were setup correctly then you could in fact swap the ECM's. re-link or disable PATS and change a couple pins around on the ECM harness and get it up and running. Any attempt to "flash" the 96 ECM will either fail or result in a no-start condition.

swap the ecu as well the tune will be set for you ecu code anyway

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
If it's the same down the the PCM, you should have no issues. I just swap all my parts from my whipple setup to my buddies car including the tune. He put it on the dyno and it was spot on and even made a few HP more than mt car did. If EVERYTHING IS the same it will be no difference weather the car is a 96 or 98.

Zacharyx

Established Member
Ok fine. It does have some nature of fuel pump logic, and still won't work.

If he is swapping the fuel system it should not be an issue, he will have to swap the tank as well since the hat is different.

OP....what does your fuel system consist of??

Last edited:

po-po 5.0

Established Member
If he is swapping the fuel system it should not be an issue, he will have to swap the tank as well since the hat is different.

OP....what does your fuel system consist of??

The '96 ECU won't know anything about the relay to control the hi/lo speed of the pumps. Flashing it won't "teach" it that either.

Zacharyx

Established Member
he has to swap ecms anyway (post 6), most tunes are specific to the ecm code. We also do not know what he has for a fuel system

jakesspv6

Established Member
Thanks for all the help guys, I'm gonna get it retuned for sure. The only thing I have to decide now is who I get it tuned by. True Street Performance, Andy at prime tuning, or gearheads.

Users who are viewing this thread