using synthetic oil

gunslinger

Established Member
does anyone recommend using synthetic oil on your 1st few oil changes or regular oil for a few thousand miles and then synthetic thanks

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
You can use syn when ever you feel confortable to start with it. I did from 1000 miles because it was my first oil change. I suggest Mobil 1 5w30 and a Motorcraft filter.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
I run Valvoline Durablend 5w30 and a K&N oil filter both changed every 3000 mi. I know it's more expensive but I'm protecting my investment. The guys at Valvoline always marvle at how my oil looks the same comming out as it does going in. I also add a quart of Greased Lightning PTFE every 12k. It's the same thing as Slick 50 but costs half as much at Parts America.

ntechnic

Established Member
I stay away from additives like Slick etc. Slick 50 ruined a chebby engine of mine about 10 years ago. Then I saw the FAA study on it, where it increased engine wear, coking, and clogged the filters. That's why the FAA now specifically bans most additives from piston engined motor oil, and specifically advises against PTFE.

I've torn down several motors with high mileage and hard abuse that lived on good quality synth. Saw one V8 that had 140,000 hard miles, but religious Mobil1 oil & filter every 5K miles. Entire engine specced out like new, and I mean like new!

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Originally posted by kaboom
svt recommends waiting until you have 6,000 miles

Did you actually read this somewhere, or just regurgitate what someone else told you, or did you get this info from one of the 1-800 SVT dudes? 6000 miles is an odd number to recommend.

Curious....

U.M.

orange2004cobra

Established Member
I spoke to "Ron" @ SVT Techline, and he made some sense.
He merely stated that "If you ever wanted to switch to synthetic, wait until you KNOW your broke in, and pick a point you feel youe engine is running @ its best..
Of course he also told me he couldnt help me anymore when I was running a no catted x pipe...
Lin

Matt M PA

Established Member
I too was told by an SVT guy that I should wait until 5 or 6,000 miles before switching to a full synthetic.

RE: PTFEs...I too have heard horror stories. In fact, if memory serves me, I heard that it somehow clogged passages as the PTFE remained a solid while circulating. I think SLick 50 got in serious trouble with the government for the claims they made that they could not back up.

kaboom

Yea it's a 03 now shut up
Established Member
Originally posted by Uncle Meat
Did you actually read this somewhere, or just regurgitate what someone else told you, or did you get this info from one of the 1-800 SVT dudes? 6000 miles is an odd number to recommend.

Curious....

U.M.
Just what i picked up along the way from everyone

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
the idea that teflon can magically bond itself to metal is easily dispelled by using any given coated skillet and a metal spatula.

i switched to mobil1 at around the 12000 mile mark, and reluctantly at that. i wanted the cold-weather protection of 0w oil, but i change my oil so much its hard to justify the cost of synth. its not a mileage or time thing for me, its the color of the oil.

Users who are viewing this thread