V-10 Pro's & Con's / Diesel Pro's & Con's (Excursion)

rob03svt06

Purple Heart Veteran
Established Member
whats the pros and cons of these to motors?? i hear lots of people saying the V-10 is the way to go?? input would be Great.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
For a more varied and detailed answer than you can get here (only because there are a lot less Excursion owners at SVT Performance than there are at FTE & TDS) check out the Excursion forum at Ford Truck Enthusiast and The Diesel Stop.

That being said, like 99Cobra posted, how do you plan on using your Excursion?

If you do a lot of heavy towing, and plan on keeping the Ex for a long time, then I'd strongly suggest a 7.3L PSD, or an '05/'06 PSD.

I suggest a 7.3L because they'll last forever, even if you mod them to run faster than the 6.0L diesels.

I suggest the '05/'06 PSD's because you have a better chance of getting a good 6.0L diesel that doesn't have the problems the 6.0's had when they first came out.

Plus, if you decide to mod them, they'll be faster than a stock Cummins.

Now, I've heard if you get a V10, and intend on using it to tow moderate to heavy loads, make sure you have 4.10 gears in the rear. It will help you stay in your power band without the tranny hunting for gears, when going up grades.

PSD's cost more to purchase and cost more for regular maintenance.

V10's get worse mileage than the PSD's loaded and trailering. I think they get about the same when unloaded and not pulling a trailer. I'm not sure about that though so someone else will have to verify for me.

Whatever you choose, understand the Excursions have an inherent steering wander problem. This is caused by the springs Ford decided to use on the Excursion.

Some say Ford used the springs they used, because they thought the target customer would be soccer moms. Either way, they screwed the pooch when they decided not to use the same springs they put on the F250's.

With the OEM springs on the Excursion, you'll find the Excursion to be a white knuckle experience in driving when pulling a trailer. Heck, it gets bad even when you're not pulling a trailer. It's downright unsafe. That's because the rear of the Excursion push-steers the front, all due to the inadequate springs.

Like most other Excursion owners, I've swapped out my POS OEM springs for the some Front OEM V code springs (Part #2C3Z-5310-HA) and rear OEM B code springs (Part #3C3Z-5560-CB) found on the F250.

Those springs, along with a Hellwig rear sway bar, Bilstein shocks all the way around, and the 3'5" rear blocks found on the F250 (I replaced the smaller OEM blocks on my Ex) completely eliminated the steering wander problems my Ex had.

Stewart

PS - TDS addresses the steering wander fix more than FTE does. But TDS is diesel related only.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I would go for an 05 6.0 if only to get the TS tranny. THe v10s in the X came with the 4R100, which is not my top choice for a towing tranny.

rob03svt06

Purple Heart Veteran
Established Member
What do you plan on doing with the X.

i may be getting deploied to iraq again here soon, if thats the case.

id like to lift it... maybe 12in, get the 10lug adapters, Super single 22in wheels, and a 37+ size tire.

if i go i plan to reenlist. thats... $40,000+ tax free. i will then pay off the Ex. and either get the 2003 10th Annv. iv been wanting!!

if i do an engine/trans swap. what will be the best to go with. with the lift en all.

keep in mind. i love the Black Smoke Mod, and the loud turbo whistle...

thanks guys.

JWC

Established Member
Get the V10 and top it off with a Kenne Bell. Right now at lest in my area diesel is 35-40 cents a gallon higher than gas. The diesels are a pain in the ... if you ask me. I have two both 6.0's; 03 and a 05. Good luck and thanks for your service.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Get the V10 and top it off with a Kenne Bell. Right now at lest in my area diesel is 35-40 cents a gallon higher than gas. The diesels are a pain in the ... if you ask me. I have two both 6.0's; 03 and a 05. Good luck and thanks for your service.

KB doesn't make a blower for the V10 anymore, so they are difficult to find (used) and when you do, they usually command a mint.

FWIW, maybe the reason you have a "diesels are a pain in the..." attitude is because you have a 6.0L!

I love my 7.3L and with just a couple upgrades, runs faster than the 6.0L's.

Stewart

JWC

Established Member
Stewart you sir are correct! Back with I purchashed the 6.0 I test drove the 6.0 and the 7.3 back to back and the 6.0 was way stronger/quicker so I went with the 6.0. Big mistake. In 05 I figured they would have the kinks worked out; bigger mistake. Now I 'll find me a low mileage 7.3 for a replacement crew truck. Live and learn. I am sometimes a little s l o w. I did just get me a F 150 5.4 that I will be installing a SC on. Just can't decide between Roush or Whipple, any suggestion?

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Man so much hate for the 6.0 lol.

For the OP, my father has an 01 7.3 Excursion. He tows with it pretty often and does alot of driving. It is averaging 16 mpg right now, atleast that is what the overhead dash says. It has a 44 gallon tank and can go 600+ miles on a single fill up.

As far as lifting the truck with the V10, it will be SLOW as molasses. My friend from high school couldn't wait for the diesel to be ordered and went with the v10, put 8 inch lift on it with a 3 inch body lift and some 40 inch tires and 20 or 22 inch rims and it is a DOG! Not to mention he gets like 5-8 mpg with it lol. Needless to say he sold it and got himself a diesel.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard, or reserve is someone who, at one
point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America"
for an amount of "up to and including my life."
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

My pop served 22 years in the Army and my son plans on joining the Marines after high school. Man, I love that sig!

JW, what year is your F150?

Whichever blower you get, keep the boost low because your internals aren't built, so your margin for safety when you add a blower isn't very large.

Stewart

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Thanks for the compliment! And and even bigger thanks to your father and good luck to your son!

I kick myself for not going to the Naval Academy when they offered it. But I guess you live and learn.

JWC

Established Member
Stewart it's an 08 SC 4x4 Lariat with the 5.4. Troyer's Performance told me as long as I didn't get over 450-500 RWHP in the truck with a safe dyno tune I would be ok. Does this sound right to you?

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Stewart it's an 08 SC 4x4 Lariat with the 5.4. Troyer's Performance told me as long as I didn't get over 450-500 RWHP in the truck with a safe dyno tune I would be ok. Does this sound right to you?

Troyer knows his stuff bro, listen to him.

I'm surprised Troyer hasn't suggested the Roushcharger kit for your truck.

Does Whipple even make one for your application?

Stewart

JWC

Established Member
Yes Stewart Troyer has the Roush SC and that's what he has suggested. Whipple has one also on the Evolution site. I have ask for info in the F150 section but have had no answer yet.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Yes Stewart Troyer has the Roush SC and that's what he has suggested. Whipple has one also on the Evolution site. I have ask for info in the F150 section but have had no answer yet.

I post over at FTE also, and Troyer is really well known on that board.

When I did an internet search, it seems Troyer has a very positive reputation on the boards. He's just not very well known within the L community like Amazon, JJ, JDM, Arthur Todd, RWTD, JLP etc are.

Check out this article.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...tion_in_late_model_F150_trucks__Part_One.html

Stewart

Last edited:

beerformeplz

Kenne Bell Mach 1
Established Member
I had an 01 Limited v10 and towed my car with no issues at all. I wouldnt even know it was back there half the time.

JWC

Established Member
Stewart nice read thanks for the link! Now if I can just get Evolution Performance to tell me about the Whipple on a F150 I can make a decision. I may just give them a call in the AM.

Users who are viewing this thread