V8 SHO has bad miss... any ideas ?

03reptile

Established Member
My 96 SHO has developed a idle that has a miss in it and also driving at approx 45mph the engine will skip and miss on gentle aceleration. It seems to be down on power, as well. The check engine light has come on and stays on. Could this be a coil pack failure? Car has 130K and has had the cams welded five years ago.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Pull the code. A buddy of mine (and SHO guru who is a Ford Tech) had a miss on a Gen III SHO and couldn't figure it out. Come to find out, the MAF signal (or vice versa, can't remember right now) was interferring with one or more of the coil packs. You might try PMing him on SHOforum, his name over there is SHO N GO...

MG McAnick

No one is psychic enough to know what's wrong with your car without knowing what codes may be stored. If you have an AutoZone store in your area, they will pull the codes for free. There mey be others as well. Then post back so that we can help you.

Hope that it's not one of the rear plugs, or worse a coil pack. Plugs are reasonably cheap. Coils aren't. You have to remove everything from the top of the engine to get at them. It's a six hour flat rate job to change all the plugs on a V-8 SHO.

03reptile

Established Member
Thanks for your input. I think, as you do, its probably a coil pack , as I have had them go bad in the past. I am not a good enough mechanic to replace one and have an appointment with Ford on Tuesday morning. With all the Xmas spending, this wasn't the best news. I'll let you all know the outcome. Thanks again.

03reptile

Established Member
Well, got the news today. The coil pack on one of the back bank of cylinders (naturally) had failed. So they'll have to remove the intake etc. to get at it. The tech said they don't normally replace the others that aren't bad but said he would examine them and if the others appeared close to future failure, (however they tell!) then he'd suggest replacing those as well. Due to the heavy labor charge to get to the back cylinders, he said it might be good insurance for possible future failures. I had the plugs changed when they welded the cams at 88K, so they should be ok. Any suggestions or input would be appreciated. I trust the Tech and the dealership as I've done business with them for over 25 years. Is the Tech's suggestion a good one? Should I also get the plugs changed, regardless, as they are cheap compared to the coil packs?

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
If you trust'em and have the cash, then I'd go for it. Now if they are on the front, I'd replace'em myself...even if your aren't mechanically inclined.

Twisted99

Established Member
I would replace the rears with new ones.
At the very least rotate the front one's to the rear. Heat is the issue I believe. Discard the bad one and keep the three others for spares to replace the fronts when the go....you can change the fronts with out much work....

Users who are viewing this thread