Value of the dollar $$$

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Just thought this was cool to look over. Everyone always talks on here about how expensive it is to live in some areas vs others. It got me thinking about the value of the dollar compared to the Euro, or the British pound, etc... Then I started thinking about it based on state to state. I found this on the US Tax Foundation Website. It's good to be a West Virginian. It is also interesting to see that most of the red states on the map area actually "RED" states.

Price-Parity-2012.png

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Pretty cool to see. A little misleading though, it appears to show the value of $100 in relative consumption but doesn't take into account the wage gap state to state. For instance the minimum wage in NY is $2.25 more than WV (yes minimum wage probably isn't the best example). My $100 doesn't buy as much here but it's easier to earn.

Looks like I'm retiring to Mississippi

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Pretty cool to see. A little misleading though, it appears to show the value of $100 in relative consumption but doesn't take into account the wage gap state to state. For instance the minimum wage in NY is $2.25 more than WV (yes minimum wage probably isn't the best example). My $100 doesn't buy as much here but it's easier to earn.

But how much of that $100 does the gov take after you earn it?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

You can also argue higher minimum wages increases the cost of goods, so its indirectly included.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
As has been mentioned, housing costs could really skew the graph. Also, I think it's a little deceiving to include the entire state. For instance, Virginia has less buying power than average but you can't tell me that the coastal area doesn't have higher costs for goods than western Virginia.

Also, the areas of the country that have lower buying power generally have higher salaries. I know that when I look at salaries across the country for jobs similar to mine the salary range on either coast is notably higher than what is paid here in the Midwest.

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
The trick is to steal as many hundreds
as possible and never break it. Once a
$100 is broken. It's gone.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Makes sense. Ny is ****ing terrible. If I made what I make in a conservative state I'd be living much better and retiring earlier. Nearly 7% state income tax, $9k in property and school tax, 8%sales tax, and some of the highest fuel taxes in the US. put that together with all the federal taxes and my wife and I are paying over 40% of our income back to the government. It's sickening..... I see why people would rather suck off the system.

Last edited:

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
lol
I need out of MA. Between the libtards, the taxes and the winter months, I no likey. lol (As soon as I retire I'm out of here.)

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Not surprised to see the District at the top (or bottom?). The entire D.C. region is absurdly expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread