valve cover gasket leaking

Blown347

Established Member
my gasket where it meets the spark plug tube is leaking at 1 tube. only place it is leaking. to buy some time replacing them, can i put some RTV over the o-ring in the tube of the valve cover to stop the leak from dripping on top of the plug for now?

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member
Yes you could do that, a friend and I had to do that once on his car and it worked. You could put a couple clean coats of RTV around where the cover meets the spark plug tube. Is it on the driver or passenger side? If it's the passenger side you might as well just pull the cover and replace the gaskets, it doesn't take that long and isn't nearly as hard as the driver's side. Just go to your local NAPA and get the Felpro gasket set, if I remember correctly it's like $35.

Blown347

Established Member
Yes you could do that, a friend and I had to do that once on his car and it worked. You could put a couple clean coats of RTV around where the cover meets the spark plug tube. Is it on the driver or passenger side? If it's the passenger side you might as well just pull the cover and replace the gaskets, it doesn't take that long and isn't nearly as hard as the driver's side. Just go to your local NAPA and get the Felpro gasket set, if I remember correctly it's like $35.

It's the driverside. Even if it was the passenger side I just installed a kb 2.8. It looks like I will have to pull the blower to get that cover off??

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member
No, you don't have to pull the blower to get the cover off. Taking the cover off is not fun by any means, but its not impossible and can be off and reinstalled in an hour or two. There are many threads on here about pulling the valve covers and different methods. You can either pull the brake booster, which is much harder and the way I did it the first time, or you can loosen one of the motor mounts and twist the engine with a block of wood and a jack (did this method the second time and it's much easier and takes a lot less time, just a little harder to wiggle out). I would suggest going ahead and replacing the seals to save yourself the headache of doing it down the road.

cj428mach

Established Member
The cover should come off the drivers side as easy as it comes off any eaton car.

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member
The cover should come off the drivers side as easy as it comes off any eaton car.

+1 I forgot that Whipple's/KB's inlet does not remove from the passenger side. If it's leaking from the drivers side you can pull the cover without removing the blower.

Blown347

Established Member
I think for now I am gonna do the rtv trick since its only 1 tube leaking. When I pull them I want to have them coated and only wanna pull them once.

djtyau

Established Member
I just did mine and I had to remove the blower because the fuel rails were in the way. I tried losening them but there was still no room. So much easier if you just remove the blower from the start.

SVTDice

Established Member
Wow same thing for me, I just changed my plugs last night and I noticed the same thing on my pass side, actually its the 2nd plug closest to the firewall infact. I'm going to have to be yanking my valve cover and replace them.

Users who are viewing this thread