Valve Cover Paint Removal?

Kafn8td

Viperia Aspis
Established Member
Anyone successfully stripped the paint from the valve covers? I would like to polish them, and I can't believe how difficult that paint is to remove. I have tried the Aircraft remover and a couple of other strippers and it's still a mess. Thinking of maybe sandblasting or just going at it with 80 grit and a hand grinder.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Rick

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There was another thread recently with the same question. Try a search and you might find it. I believe the thread was started a week or two ago. Same forum.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Im getting mine powder coated blue, similar to the Ford GT. Hope it looks alright. I bet polished would be pretty sharp too. Good luck and take some pics if you get it figured out.

Kafn8td

Viperia Aspis
Established Member
Thanks for the reply's! I would put money on the fact that no one will ever complain about the paint on the valve covers! I wish the paint on the body was that good!

The best I can tell, sanblasting will be the way to go. It's a shame, because I actually was able to get a small area stripped and it is pretty well polished underneath the paint. Trouble is, it would take me several days of non stop pain in th @ss work to do the entire thing. :kaboom:

Flyin - I think the Blue Powdercoat with your stripes will look great. Post pics when you get it done!

Last edited:

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
Acid dipped :shrug:
Like they do to car bodies and frames when the restore them.
Just a thought.

I have a very large media blasting setup. (6ft by 6ft) and the ability to change the coarsness of media easy.
I could turn them around for you fairly quick if thats the way you decide to go.

JP

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Someone in another thread just soaked them in Acetone over night and practically everything came off. It took just a very small amount of addtional clean up to get them totally stripped.

Users who are viewing this thread