Valve lash adjusters

Elwood P Dowd

Established Member
So a couple of weeks ago I bought a 99 cobra convertible. In the process of doing a tune-up on it I discover that the valve covers are leaking oil into the spark plug wells. I've got the new valve cover gaskets on hand but was wondering if there is any way to check the lash adjusters while I have the covers off? I've got a tick that only seems to happen when I'm cruising along at about 2500 rpm, it goes away if I give it a little throttle and it's only while I'm driving I just cant get it to tick with the hood up in the driveway. Also while I've got the valve covers off is there anything else specific to these engines that I should check out?
Thanks for any advice.

Elwood P Dowd

Established Member
Well its a high pitched tick I would think that a rod bearing would be a deeper knock type of sound, also I've never heard of a rod knock coming and going like that typically when a rod bearing goes it goes. Also if it was a rod bearing I would be able to hear it in the driveway with the engine running

zPipes

Established Member
Yea ticking is usually lifters or something up in the head, I agree a spun bearing is more of a knock than a tick, regardless, neither of which are fun to hear.

Elwood P Dowd

Established Member
Yea ticking is usually lifters or something up in the head, I agree a spun bearing is more of a knock than a tick, regardless, neither of which are fun to hear.

Yeah I agree but of the two I would much rather hear a bad lifter. So does anyone know of a way to check the lifters while they are still in the car.

zPipes

Established Member
Sorry thats a bit beyond my knowledge. But subscribed to hear the answer.

BlackStang00

Established Member
my 00 gt has valve tick too. My advice would be to take the stang to a shop and get them replaced. Im waiting to get mine replaced soon. Also you need to get the motor warm to hear the valve tick thats why you cant hear it in your driveway.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've never heard of anyway to check any lifter or valve adjuster. Best you can do is isolate the area and replace the adjusters in that area.

mustangman36578

Established Member
you check for play where the follower meets the lifter. i forget what the spec is but i will look it up when i get home. it is adjusted by adding small shims under the lifter. it has been a while since i built my motor, i think there may be more to it as far as colapsing the lifter and what not. i will provide more info either later tonight or tomorrow sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread