Valve Seals?!?!

blackvenom01

Established Member
I have a 2001 cobra and progessively for the past few months my car has been throwin more and more blue smoke. It only blows the smoke when it is a warm start and on random times idling at a light. I have asked around a few places and have narrowed it down to the valve seals.

Does anyone have a tech article or write up on how to do it. I know i can do without an article but it would help since its the first time really tearing into the engine. You do have to take the heads off to fix them on these cars right??

Lastly since ill already have it pretty torn down i was think bout getting forged rods and pistons. Can all this be done with the engine still in the car??

01yellercobra

Established Member
blackvenom01 said:
Lastly since ill already have it pretty torn down i was think bout getting forged rods and pistons. Can all this be done with the engine still in the car??

Going by this part alone I'm going to suggest you take it to a professional to have the work done.

ModularFan

Established Member
If its blue smoke, I would think its a blown head gasket and not a Valve seal.

blackvenom01

Established Member
it def reeks of oil...why do you say i should def take it to a professional...i feel that im pretty mechanically inclined...i have done headers on my car and another but completely dropping it out of the bottom, i know that headers is basic bolt on stuff...

i plan on getting it pressure tested here this week or next

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Best way is to pull the heads.
It can be done on the car, but then you need a valvespring compressor,
fill cylinders w/air, etc.
PITA.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
it def reeks of oil...why do you say i should def take it to a professional...i feel that im pretty mechanically inclined...i have done headers on my car and another but completely dropping it out of the bottom, i know that headers is basic bolt on stuff...

i plan on getting it pressure tested here this week or next

I think he was pointing to the fact that you actually asked if you could swap rods/pistons with the motor in the car as evidence that you aren't mechanically inclined.

blackvenom01

Established Member
sorry i didnt proof read it the reason i was asking is cause a friend of mine mentioned how you can change it out the valve seals with it still in the car and i never heard of doing it like that...i guess i really wont know what i need to do until i get the compression test...if it is the cylinder wall you guys think i should just sell it and uprgrade to 03 04 or spend way more money to fix it and make it stronger at the same time

Users who are viewing this thread