Variation on Hood Vent mods

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
I started thinking about the nifty hood mods as posted by Postban. I'm worrying about the effect of rain, snow and ice dumping into the engine compartment if I completely remove the plastic baffles and cut away the blanket. I'm thinking about using set of solenoids or a cable and bellcrank assembly to slide the baffles open/closed, so they can be opened in warm, dry weather, and easily closed during a downpour or snowy weather. What do you guys think?

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I have had this mod done for over 3 months now with no sign of any problem. I left the plastic baffles on the vents and closed. As I see it there really is no more water coming in then before the only difference is the engine releases heat better and you don't screw up your hood liner. If you want to be able to open and close it just use heavy duty velcro or something to hold it open.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
That would work -- I just wanted something a little more elegant, like in bad weather just flip a switch or pull a knob instead of getting out of the car, opening the hood, etc.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Without looking, I really don't think that there would be enough room with the hood shut to swivel these things open or closed...

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
hate to be the party pooper but I really dont think this mod does anything. look at where they are in conjuction to the engine and radiator. They sit right on the radiator. Besides dont you want more air to hit the engine and provide some cooling or do you want to loose air through those holes? Just not convinced its worth doing anything yet... Prolly when you are sitting in traffic on a HOT day it helps some cause I noticed a LOT of hot air comes out of those holes when you turn off the car...

Just being skeptical before I go cuttin into my BABY!

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
The mod doesn't do much for venting the engine compartment, but it does look like it will save the blanket from getting messed up from rain, washings and melting snow...

I used a nice trim around the cut out and it looks factory. I left the guard in place to help divert the water to the front.

Mac03Cobra

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Originally posted by harry gilbert
...snip...
I'm thinking about using set of solenoids or a cable and bellcrank assembly to slide the baffles open/closed, so they can be opened in warm, dry weather, and easily closed during a downpour or snowy weather. What do you guys think?

FAR OUT!
I say go for it! Dare to expand the base of knowledge instead of sitting on the sidelines, pondering your navel like some of our friends here. I'll be 2nd if you can make it work. Maybe then we can call it "Gilbert's air guillotine!" ("Harry's hood mod" seemed too simple):thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
OK then,

I'll be next with opening up the rear scoops to effectively channel cooling air to the rear brakes. :D

I'm off to get the tin snips and the black spray paint...;-)

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Since you're working on an air duct, you MUST use....DUCT TAPE!

Re: my hod vent mod suggestion: I plan to move the plastic baffles parallel to the hood, not swing them down. Either slide them in tracks, or pivot them away from the vents. I do like Postban's way of cutting the hood blanket away, though.

KingKobra

Established Member
I don't see the why I don't do this mod since the hood blanket is waterlogged and crackly already. I do see the benefit in unclamping the fronts of each flap so that they lay flat against the hood blanket are at least a little bit more open than if they were clipped up to the hood.

QUESTION: IF you do the postban mod, what part of the engine is exactly underneath the holes... what will be getting wet from water when I wash this thing?

coleman

Established Member
i didn't want to cut them off....
so, i just taped the flaps back underneath the blanket.
my flaps were plastic -- postban's looked to be metallic in his pics.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by KingKobra
I don't see the why I don't do this mod since the hood blanket is waterlogged and crackly already. I do see the benefit in unclamping the fronts of each flap so that they lay flat against the hood blanket are at least a little bit more open than if they were clipped up to the hood.

QUESTION: IF you do the postban mod, what part of the engine is exactly underneath the holes... what will be getting wet from water when I wash this thing?

Get a tape measure, measure the distance to the vent, and see for yourself. There is nothing underneath them that will suffer unless you regularly drive in ice storms.

I am amazed at the amount of ink this topic is getting.

My advice, based on two months experience, is Just do it.

Users who are viewing this thread