Vert cowl flex

djax

Established Member
I come to the wise members of SVT Performance once again for advice. I feel there is a lot of cowl flex in the vert. I can see the windshield move from side to side. I have generally accepted that this is a trade-off for open air cruising. You can’t cut the center out of a car and not have some ill effects, but I would like to reduce if not eliminate the cowl flex. I have installed full-length subs and while this made an improvement, I still want more, much more. Step 2, I plan to install a strut tower brace and if I still need/want more Kenny Brown extreme matrix rails. What have other vert owners done to reduce cowl flex, or do you even think cowl flex is an issue.:shrug:

AlCobra

Established Member
I did the complete Kenny Brown kit to my 2001 vert and was happier with it. It did tighten car up on both long and short axis and made hitting bumps a little tighter and a whole lot less shaking afterwards. I suggest you find someone in your area with the compelte update to see how it feels yourself, but I would do it again if I got another vert in future.

djax

Established Member
I'm new to this, what is the "complete" kit?
And thanks for the info!

djax

Established Member
AlCobra,
I just noted that you are in San Diego, who did the install on your 01? I live in Oceanside.

AlCobra

Established Member
I had Fairway Ford in Placentia do it. Its about 60 miles north of Oceanside.

As for the complete kit, check out the Kenny Brown web site as they have a lot of items for Cobras and Mustangs.

Good luck with it, and have fun!

Goldy

Established Member
I've got two Cobra convertibles (a '99 and an '03). The '03 has all of Kenny Brown stiffening parts:
- super sub-frame connectors
- jacking rails
- cross matrix bracing
- lower chassis brace
- strut tower brace
- rear shock tower brace
(I also had their Caster Plus plates added when the strut tower brace was installed.)

My '99 has the exact same mods, less the Caster Plus plates and rear shock tower brace. Both cars are extremely stiff. I'd offer for you to call Kenny Brown Perf. (317.247.5320) and have them explain the benefits of their parts.

On this forum, I've read where some people prefer the stiffening parts from other companies (Maximum Motorsports for one). Everybody has their opinion. You may wish to contact these other companies as well to get another perspective. I feel the Kenny Brown parts (specifically the super sub-frame connectors, cross-matrix bracing and jacking rails combined) provide for a stiffer chassis than do the sub-frame connectors offered by others; these parts connect to the car at many more points rather than just the sub-frames, spreading the stiffening benefit to more of the chassis that just the sub-frames. (Kenny Brown Perf. is the only company I'm aware of which offers these other parts which compliment the sub-frame connectors.) As an added benefit, the jacking rails do make it much easier to raise the car.

Good luck anyway you go.

Howard

docs03

Established Member
I have the following on my vert:

1. KB super subs
2. KB matrix brace
3. KB jacking rails
4. KB strut tower brace with CC plates

I did not do the rear shock tower brace. I think this is a must if you road race.

These mods made a huge difference in the feel of the car. Make sure you have somebody who does excellent work on the welding of the subframe connectors.

doc

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Can you guys with the subframes and matrix please try to describe the ride change.

Mine is a daily driver coupe, and I'm seriously considering subframes.

The springs have made the ride a bit stiffer, and I'm wondering what will happen with subs. I've never had them before.

I understand it stiffens the ride and improves corner stability, but does it make the ride harsher? Does it jar more or less on road bumps, etc.?

Thanks for your replies.

ObieFox

Established Member
Goldy, You are in Indi right? Did you have KB do your install? How did it go? Is their front K-member chassis brace that much better than our stock one?

Thanks for the opinions,

Kevin

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Originally posted by Goldy
I've got two Cobra convertibles (a '99 and an '03). The '03 has all of Kenny Brown stiffening parts:
- super sub-frame connectors
- jacking rails
- cross matrix bracing
- lower chassis brace
- strut tower brace
- rear shock tower brace
(I also had their Caster Plus plates added when the strut tower brace was installed.)

Good luck anyway you go.

Howard

Hi Fellahs,

My 'vert arrives Feb 3rd, and I've been trying to figure out what its gonna need for stiffening. Sounds like I've found the right thread!

So a few questions:

How much did the KB Kit cost? And about how much for installation?

What are "Jacking Rails"? Where do they go, and what do they do for your car?

The Rear Shock Tower Brace goes in the the trunk-area, right? How much space is it gonna take up? Will there still be room for suitcases and such?

Thanks!

Goldy

Established Member
Yes, I'm in Indy.

The KB lower chassis brace does not replace the lower chassis brace which comes with the car (at least on the convertibles), but rather is installed in addition to it.

The two chassis stiffening pieces I wasn't sure about installing
were the lower chassis brace and the rear shock tower brace (I wasn't sure if I needed them). But after thinking about it for a while (the car is a convertible and puts out lots of HP and TQ, not to mention the potential of additional HP and TQ after mods), I wanted to make the chassis as stiff as possible. With that in mind, I opted to also have the KB lower chassis brace and KB rear shock tower brace also installed.

All work was done at Kenny Brown Performance here in Indy. Actually, part of the install was done during one of our Indy SVTOA meetings. (Pics are on our web site: www.indysvtoa.com). Also, I was not going to get the Caster Plus plates. But as the factory camber plates had to be removed to install the strut tower brace, I had the Caster Plus plates installed (and ever-so glad I did...steering response as well as front end grip have greatly improved).

Howard

Goldy

Established Member
Originally posted by mike_b_svt
Hi Fellahs,

My 'vert arrives Feb 3rd, and I've been trying to figure out what its gonna need for stiffening. Sounds like I've found the right thread!

So a few questions:

How much did the KB Kit cost? And about how much for installation?

What are "Jacking Rails"? Where do they go, and what do they do for your car?

The Rear Shock Tower Brace goes in the the trunk-area, right? How much space is it gonna take up? Will there still be room for suitcases and such?

Thanks!

The jacking rails not only help stiffen the chassis, but also make for jacking/raising the car much easier. These rails run along the inside portion of the lip under the car (where you'd jack the car up if using the jack which came with the car). The rails are not visible. They also attach to the cross matrix bracing, which in-turn attaches to the sub-frame connectors. (Again, visit the www.indysvtoa.com site for pics, this should help see how it would look installed.)

The rear shock tower brace does not take up much room at all in the trunk (again, visit the www.indysvtoa.com site for pics). As weird as this sounds, I do not remember how much these mods cost (I'd guess it was around $1,000.00, +/- a couple of hundred) for everything. You may want to call Rich at Kenny Brown Perf. (317.247.5320). Rich is the Indy SVTOA chapter's contact at Kenny Brown Perf. and could go into detail about this as well as other offerings for the '03 Cobra.

Good Luck.

Howard

Users who are viewing this thread