Vert top system fix

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
one side is faster than the other going up, and dealer says there is a leak on one of the cylinders, he suggests doing both, plus bleed and adjust(2001 Cobra).....labor is gonna be $460(sounds a little steep even for the dealer).....Ford stopped production of the parts so I have been looking around and found anywhere from $90-150 online.....is this something I should tackle myself or if I have it done, should it be from a top-shop or just a mechanic.....any experience would help......

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
Bump for you because my car does something similar. $460 for just labor sounds pretty steep....

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
and on top of everything else, they charged me an extra $100 to tell me that the part is no longer in production(I had it there for a completely different problem and was not told they were charging me $200, for diagnostic $100 per ).....but if I let them fix it they will apply the fee to the repair.....but of course they cant get the part.....retarded dealer BS.....

I leave the top down most of the time/garaged and only drive on super nice days so its no emergency for me, so I may take this on myself after reading a couple of excellent tutorials.......and combine it with a Light bar install while i have the back torn apart......

rag-top_man

Established Member
other than a couple semi hidden screws that secure the side panels(roll quarter window down look from outside car to spot them) and 40 or 45 size torx screws(can't remember positivly which size) attaching the rams its fairly easy to do. its a gravy job for commision type techs!!!!

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
the tutorial I saw makes it look easy, plus I have a mech/friend to help......prob wait for warmer weather though..........

Jmccormick

TERMN8D
Established Member
Very simple swap.

I wish I could go more in depth for you.

I swapped my entire top and cylinders from an 03 cobra into my 95 cobra.

took me 2.5 hours and some simple hand tools.

hopefully someone can chime in!

Users who are viewing this thread