Very good races with a H/C ls1 SS

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
I was heading to my Wifes work today and a sweet black 01 or 02 SS pulled up next to me at the light (its a H/C car w/ 12 bolt/ 3.73s on chrome C6 Zo6s). Ive been wanting to run this car for a little while now BUT i really did not want to do it then (atleast not from a dig). I just put the 19" wheels back on the rear of the car (still sportin draglites on the front) and it has TERRIBLE wheel hop on the 1-2 shift with these wheels. I just picked up a set of MT DRs for my extra set of draglites to put on the car. Thats tomorrow and not today, so **** it, Ill give it a shot.

The light changes and we both come out as hard as we can on 19" and 18" street tires, he spins some, I spin a bit more and he gets out on me by about a a car and a half to two cars. It hops a only little in second and I drive through it. I start pulling on him as I shift into third, by the top of third I was able to get side by side and pull about a fender as I hit fourth. We both hit the brakes hard coming up to the next light. 1 win for me:banana:

The next light I was in the right lane that ends quickly after the light, he was in the far left with an accord or somthing like that between us.
Light changes and we're off, he spins some, I spin a little more this time and when I nailed second, I thought my teeth were going to rattle out it wheel hopped so bad! I had to let out for a split second and get back on it. All this was going on during my sideways lane change to the middle lane By now he has atleast three to three and a half on me. By the top of third I'm closing the gap. I hit fourth and I'm at his rear bumper, but we have been upproching traffic and he hits the brakes and I fly by him (he may have ran out of gear, or it was due to the car he was coming up on).

I was catching him, but did not get by. ls1 wins. :nonono:

Tomorrow I'll have the MTs on the car and would like to run it again from a dig. Then do a second gear roll. I cant wait to put a rear end under this car with a set of 4.10's or 4.30s (it still has stock 3.42s.)

BTW this was in my Wifes LT1 Camaro:dw:
lt1: 1
ls1: 1

If him and I dont race again anytime soon, I'm sure the tie breaker will happen eventually

LC281

Established Member
DAMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNN!!!! huge props to the wife for driving such a beast!!!!!:rockon:

JPB

On jack stands
Established Member
I love LT1's. They are so overlooked but when built correctly can be pretty dang stout. Good job. I miss beating up on most of the LS? community with mine. Got beat up on too but that was expected for them. They sure didn't like it when the tables were turned. Your wife sounds cool. Mine misses driving my SS.

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
Thanks for the comments!

It has a H/C package from Advanced Induction (stock castings) with all the supporting mods (including 03 Cobra injectors and DSG paint!). It does need some supension work and more gear. The cam is spec'd to have atlest a set of 4.10s, but I refuse to put 4.10s in the stock 10 bolt (the pinion gear is very tiny with 4.10s in 7.625" ten bolt). We'll deal with the 3.42s until I fab up an 8.8 to bolt in it:thumbsup:

Here is an idle vid that was taken the day after the the H/C swap was done (un tuned):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fVtNiV14kQ"]YouTube - Cammed LT1 Camaro[/ame]

Future plans call for a 383 with a forged rotating assembly and a little n20:-D

The car was origionally a sixxer, I put in the stock lt1 with only exhaust, CAI, and an electric water pump. I was able to get consitant 13.1s @ 107 out of it:rockon: I was only expecting to run mid to high 13s at 103-104.
In that trim it put down 292/321.

With the H/C set up it did 396/350 with a mail order tune and picked up a little with a dyno tune. Final numbers as it sits are 412/367. Not too bad for a the red headed step child, "lowly lt1":rolling:

rubber duck

Established Member
Must be an untuned or pretty mild h/c setup on the LS1 for you to be able to pull like that, especially with the LS1 have some gear out back. Nice LT1.

JPB

On jack stands
Established Member
Must be an untuned or pretty mild h/c setup on the LS1 for you to be able to pull like that, especially with the LS1 have some gear out back. Nice LT1.

Apparently you don't know about the AI boys. AI typically make just as much power with LT1's as most other people make with LS1's and some LS2's for that matter.

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
Apparently you don't know about the AI boys. AI typically make just as much power with LT1's as most other people make with LS1's and some LS2's for that matter.

They do make good power for LT1s however ive found they cost much more than equivelent ls1 heads and dont make as impressive TQ curves.

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member

Im not sure of the exact combo, but it is pretty mild. Im pretty sure the cam was somthing like a 224/228 (I could be wrong, it's been a while since I talked to the origional owner)

My goal with the lt1 was to get it to run with strong "cam only" and mild h/c ls1s that generally put down 400-440. I have seen many h/c ls1's that dont perform as good as a good cam only set up. It is all about having the right combo and tune.

:rockon:
With an aggressive tune and true duals, my set up on a stock shortblock typically makes around 430/380.
I'm still running a standard magnaflow cat back (which is probably one of the best stock style cat bks) and no cut out. The tune is somwhat on the conservative side. I should be able to run a 100 shot wet without pulling any timing. My cut out should be here anyday. Once I weld it up I'll probably hit the dyno and see where Im at (I may dig up the old N/X wet kit and slap it on there too:-D).It still has a stock crank pulley too, but I probably wont change it until I build the 383 and put an ATI super damper on it.

They do make good power for LT1s however ive found they cost much more than equivelent ls1 heads and dont make as impressive TQ curves.

The less impressive torque is maily due to intake runner length. An lt1 has virtually no runner length (probaly about 2-3"), where an ls1/ls6 is 262mm (10.31"). An stock lt1 has such a broad torque curve due to small heads and cam, the intake is a mismatch from the factory.

Last edited:

rubber duck

Established Member
Cam only LS1's are putting out 400+ rwhp, I had one. A good head/cam setup is going to be 450+. If a LS1 with a head/cam setup is getting pulled as hard as the OP is saying with 412 rwhp it's either a mild h/c setup or it's not tuned right unless the 412 rwhp was on a stingy mustang dyno. Especially with the LS1 car having more gear out back. I know what LS1/LT1 motors are capable of.

JPB

On jack stands
Established Member
Cam only LS1's are putting out 400+ rwhp, I had one. A good head/cam setup is going to be 450+. If a LS1 with a head/cam setup is getting pulled as hard as the OP is saying with 412 rwhp it's either a mild h/c setup or it's not tuned right unless the 412 rwhp was on a stingy mustang dyno. Especially with the LS1 car having more gear out back. I know what LS1/LT1 motors are capable of.

90% of the good H/C LS1's here in DFW only put out 420-440 rwhp. I've seen higher. 20-30 rwhp can be made up by gearing + good driving. I used to stay even with cam only LS1's with my LT1 SS with the vortech s-trim removed. My engine was mild head work by Yelvi, small blower cam, and 9.0:1cr hans feustal buit (balanced & blueprinted) 353. My car should've gotten stomped but it never came out that way with cam only LS1's. I chaulk it up to out driving them. I drive all my cars like I stole them. HP dyno graphs don't mean squat in the real world. For example, I have a friend with an 08 Vette with a Stall, AR LT's, Varram, & tune. The car dynos 382rwhp but runs 11.20 in the quarter mile.

Last edited:

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
I just put the Draglites on the rear with a set of 275/50/15 MT DR's. No more second gear wheel hop, just a nice screech!

I'd like to line it up with a pullied Cobra, but I dont think that there are any around here. Most have TS's or atleast ported eatons.

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
have fun spraying that wet 100 shot without pulling timing...

Whey do you say that?

It has a very conservative tune and It currently has LESS timing then stock.

Whay would I need to pull timing? If I was going to spary it, Id start with a 50, log it and check the plugs after each run, do a 75 next, and as long as there is no knock or signs of it on the plugs, I'd step up to the 100 and do the same.

If there was even a hint of detonation, Id get an MSD timing retard and pull a degree or two.

None of this really matters, because I really doubt that I'll put the kit on the car until I build the 383 (but you never know, lol).

Qwk GT

Established Member
Nice LT1. 292 to the ground with just cai and exhaust.... Must've been a strong runner. My friends 95 Lt1 dyno'd in the 270's IIRC. CAI, off road y, and borla catback. He ran consistent 13.7's, but his suspension was geared more for handling. Couldn't get below a 2.1 60ft.

Haven't spoke to him recently, but sure he's dwindled the time down...

Pntbll309

Established Member
Whey do you say that?

It has a very conservative tune and It currently has LESS timing then stock.

Whay would I need to pull timing? If I was going to spary it, Id start with a 50, log it and check the plugs after each run, do a 75 next, and as long as there is no knock or signs of it on the plugs, I'd step up to the 100 and do the same.

If there was even a hint of detonation, Id get an MSD timing retard and pull a degree or two.

None of this really matters, because I really doubt that I'll put the kit on the car until I build the 383 (but you never know, lol).

I know when I got tuned to run my 150 last year (stock heads/cam, just bolt ons) I had to pull 8* timming to get it safe.

With 100 you will still want to pull some timing. But like you said the tune you have isnt close to being advanced enough to worry much. You know your tune more than me, and you are playing it safe so you should have good luck....

Users who are viewing this thread