very hard clutch to push in

Mooseman0

Established Member
When I bought the car clutch was very hard to push it. No slip or issues besides hard to push in so I left it alone. Whippled the car etc now I'm ready to fix this!
It literally takes 50-75 pounds to push that clutch to the floor...
Car had clutch put in at 20,800 miles it had 21,200 miles on it when I Bought. Now has 23k on it.
Clutch is a RAM high performance clutch part # 98951HDT.
The only info I have on fly wheel is the part # 335-1442 can't find any info at all on it tho..
Pilot bearing part # B65174
Any ways I'm going to try a new clutch cable and see if that works.
Did anyone else ever have this issue?
BTW I am not exaggerating when I say 50+ pounds to push this clutch in!

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member
Mine was like that when i bought it.. had a spec stage 2+. Ended up the clutch fork pivot had been screwed in only partially and was cocked sideways.. rethreaded it and put it back in. It's worth a look on yours.

Mooseman0

Established Member
Thanks guys Ganna try the new cable first after that ill pull trans and check out in there.

LeKiD

Established Member
Remove the clutch fork cover and i spect the TOB , you will not be able to see the pivot but you will see if the bearing is lube enough or completely dry .

Check were you clutch cable is routed , unhook from the fork and check if it move freely .

Firewall adjuster and quandran should be always install with an aftermarket clutch , specially the Ram .

pkwest

Established Member
I've owned two terminators. An early 03 bought new and a late 04 bought used. With the 03 after about 6 months my throw out bearing started squealing. The dealer replaced the clutch also at the same time. When I picked up the car I pushed in the clutch and it was way easier. I was pissed thinking they put in the wrong clutch. I called svt and told them the part number. He said that is the correct clutch. I was told that mid year 03 they had a clutch change due to complaints of how difficult the clutch was to push. My 04 was easy to push like my new 03 clutch.

Last edited:

Mooseman0

Established Member
Mine has a aftermarket clutch.

Finally got working on the car and the cable is rubbing hard on steering and oil filter housing. Tore the cable up. Hoping this is my problem. Going to replace cable and re route it.

Mooseman0

Established Member
Took cover off trans where clutch cable goes in this fell out

1357173000.gif

And this is the first time i worked on a mustang does this all look normal... Thinking about taking these springs out they have to smoosh which make clutch hard to push dont ya think

1357173038.gif

Mooseman0

Established Member
Ok guys. I just went out i removed all the springs, i re routed the cable a little bit and i moved the cable so it is on the end of the fork for maximum pulling force. i adjusted it and it feels much much better I can deffinitly live with it now.
Thank you all I still have no clue what the dowle pin is from tho. I never had any issues with my clutch setup besides how hard it was to push tho. Ill just have to adjust it a little bit in the spring when i pull it out and im good to go.

LeKiD

Established Member
The dowel pin is to center the pressure plate on the flywheel . Need 3 dowel to center properly. You need to remove the clutch assembly and reinstall new dowel and bolt , if not done , this could cause a vibration thru the engine/drivetrain.

Mooseman0

Established Member
Ok guys here is a update>>

I pulled the tranny, both dowels were in the tranny and they were much bigger diameter than the dowel i found so i knew it was that,

started looking on pressure plate they looked same size so i started counting 1, 2 cranked engine real snappy to spin pressure plate and wa-la, I was Missing the 3rd one.

I slide it back in the pressure plate then i tapped in so it stayed into the flywheel,

I plan to put a very small dab of JB weld over it to prevent it from coming out again

Here is how i found it

1357621331.gif

And here is after i put it back in.

1357621340.gif

Txroughneck

Termin8U
Established Member
Yeah I have a ram clutch too and had the same problem, they're known for being stiff but so are all 03/04 cobras stock clutch or not one day i was speed shiftin and it snapped while i was drivin lol had the adjustable cable on it by sr performance and all I can say is no matter what mods/clutch you have stay away from the adjustable clutch cables they're not only more expensive but don't last as long and might be thicker but aren't made as solid as for or ford racings stock cable. Also be sure with new cable to lubricate as much as possible before installing.

Mooseman0

Established Member
Dont think big deal how i fixed this? Maybe ill put a dab of jb weld over all 3 of these dowles

VNMUS03

Established Member
Yeah I have a ram clutch too and had the same problem, they're known for being stiff but so are all 03/04 cobras stock clutch or not one day i was speed shiftin and it snapped while i was drivin lol had the adjustable cable on it by sr performance and all I can say is no matter what mods/clutch you have stay away from the adjustable clutch cables they're not only more expensive but don't last as long and might be thicker but aren't made as solid as for or ford racings stock cable. Also be sure with new cable to lubricate as much as possible before installing.

How do you lubercate a clutch cable?

Users who are viewing this thread