VERY IMPORTANT INFO ON REAR END POP

Lightning Bob

Established Member
flyn high again

Below is a link to a Corral article on swapping gears in the IRS. It shows the basic procedure for disassembling the halfshafts from the wheel hubs.

http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/irsgears/irs1.html

The second picture you posted was of the inside end of the halfshaft which is inserted into the side gears in the differential. The outside end of the halfshaft looks similar, but includes threads for the 36mm nut that holds the wheel hub on the halfshaft. The lock nut would have originaklly been screwed onto the axle beneath the puller(pusher in this case) in the first picture you posted.

Which dealership are you working with?
I'm also in the Chicagoland area and I'm interested in seeing how your warranty work turns out.

Lightning Bob

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Alright, I got my car back.

First let me say that I've driven it about 35 miles and there is no rear end pop so far. It may just be me, but it seems to shift into gear more easily also.

Lightning Bob,
You are right about that pic. I put the wrong end of the half shaft up. I took mine to Tirapelli Ford in Shorewood. My car is stock except for K+N drop in filter so I don't have warranty concerns.

They had the car for 1 day and, with me hinting, diagnosed it and ordered parts [2 hours or so]. I drove it home.

I called them last Friday and found out the parts had just come in. I made an appointment for today. This morning I brought it in. I picked it up about 5 p.m. [1 day] [1 day and 2 hours total downtime. Nice Taurus for the rental.] I don't want to sound like a commercial for Tirapelli, but they treated me very well.

This first pic shows the outside of the halfshaft in the hub and where the metal shavings and worn teeth are.

Last edited:

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
SVT also asked me to remind you that even if your problem seems to be this one, it may or may not be and bringing it to a dealer for diagnosis is a wise course. I hope the pics at least show you exactly the area in question.

Everyone remember, if you have any of the common problems with your cars, diagnose [if you have the talent] or get them diagnosed and then let SVT know [1-800-FORDSVT] so they can document the number of our cars with each problem. If a thousand guys report the same symptoms, then Ford will know it is something that should be addressed. I hope everyone has the same good results that I have had.

Sincerely,

Cliff

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Is the SVT Phone number in the manual, or can you just post it?

ak_cobra

Established Member
weird, i just bought mine 4 days ago and have 280 miles on it and i am getting an odd popping sound? i will have one of the local guru's look at it and see if they think it's something i should be concerned with. i have heard that there is a bunch of drivetrain slop and that i should just get used to it?
Nick

jordanvraptor

Established Member
I called SVT and the rep told me that since the cars are no longer in production they are not doing any work on any fix of any kind for our cars. This was in relation to the pop tink noise but I got the feeling of a "they got our money so live with it, attitude..."

03Cobra_Poison

Established Member
so i wasnt going crazy. i get the clunk/tink when backout of my driveway in the morning. just started to happen within that last 2 months and right around 7500 miles. it has gotten louder. goes away when i go forward a few yards. time to call the dealer. :(

Users who are viewing this thread