Very! Interesting Search about Chemicals (( Adams Polishes ))

trance_in_miami

Established Member
Please Read Interesting (( Adams Polishes ))

I was looking at buying some of Adams Polishes and did a search on Altavista. I noticed a Web site called Warner Chemicals . I deicided to look at the site and saw basically all the Adams Products on there. Is Warner Adams Polishes?

@ www.adamspolishes.com

adams has the Butter wax. Brilliant Spray glaze and QD spray.

i then went to http://warnerchemical.com/index.php?cPath=4

and saw the same products with different yet similar names.

Could this be an act of Mark Up. Im sure they are the same. I just went to my garage becasue i had oredered the gallon of adams Detail SPray and i swear the same product with the same color and Gallon style is on the site. But with a different name called ( SPray WAX )

could this be a Markup Price? Look into both sites and compare the products and names. Im really Adament about this. :eek:

Last edited:

Scott P

Established Member
Why not call Adam? Tell him what you found and see what his answer is.

Keep in mind, most boutique products are not hand mixed by the people selling them. They are mixed at a larger chemical plant/facility that already has a stock product line. Most of the tie, these base products are altered to suit the buyer. Some will add fragrance, change the color and other cosmetic changes. Many will try to custom tailor the product so it performs better. Waxes can be altered to get a wetter look. Some will change components to make them easier to work with. These custom mixes are often smaller batches that do cost more to produce. They may still resemble the original stock formulation in appearance. The difference is performance. Basically, they may all look the same, but it doesn't mean they are the same.

I can't speak for Adam's products since I've never used them. But, I do know that this conversation has come up recently in detailing forums. Nothing was ever proven though, so I think it was more baseless accusations that actual fact.

trance_in_miami

Established Member
I think something is up. Becasue you cant search for something on an unkown search engine like alta vista.and then get the Warner website Instead of admas polishes. Maybe the products just have different tags. But scott i think your right.

SVECobraR

Established Member
Damn i wish i saw this like 2 seconds earlier, i just ordered 220 dollars worth of stuff from adam's, but i'm going to call tomorrow and see if their the same and if so i'm sure he'll return it all.

trance_in_miami

Established Member
i called adam the first day and he said that they are not the same. =-) but it is very peculiar... He said that they are just rumors. But something tells that all these companies might have a cheaper distributer.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Take a look at Poorboys products and compare them to Chemical Guys (which is the same as Warners). It is suggested that Adams and Poorboys get their products from Chemical Guys (who relabel and reformulate their products for smaller companies).

Chemical Guys swirl removers vs. Poorboy's SSR's:

ultralight_compound_th.jpg
7_7101_th.jpg
heavy_compound_th.jpg

SSR_all.jpg

CG XXX Wax vs Poorboy's Natty's Wax:

hardl.jpg

natty.jpg

You can search Autopia (though many of the threads were deleted/closed) and see for yourself. Many people have tried the products (including myself) and have found the products to be almost identical. Almost every Poorboys product has a Chemical Guys counterpart. And the ones that don't, well read on. So what about the Natty's Blue and why CG's doesn't have a product like that? From the CG site:

"What if I want custom formulated product?

We will aid in the formulation of your own unique product. Our experience spans OEM production, mail order items, promotional programs, as well as national and regional store brands. Give us an idea of what you are looking for in a product and we can formulate it. All product scent, fragrance, color, viscosity, thickness, look and feel can also be custom tailored to your needs once the product is agreed upon. "

http://www.chemicalguys.com/distributors.htm

Of course, Poorboy's is never going to admit this, because then why would people buy from them when they can go to the source and buy in bulk cheaper? Well I will still buy items from Poorboys, because I don't always need a gallon of a product, and I like some of the formulations that they have come up with. I'm sure I could call Chemical Guys and ask them to make me up my own product, but it may never be the same as the Poorboys.

I have tried samples of the waterless wash from CG's and I love it. I have also tried the Butter Wax which is very nice. Chemical Guys will definitely be in my detailing arsenal. Now, regardless of that fact I will still buy from Poorboys! Try your own comparisons and make your own conclusions. I see too many similarities and coincidences between the CG's and Poorboys line after my own experiment. Packaging, color, smell, labels, consistency, ease of use, and end result are all alike. The fact that Chemical Guys offer custom labeling, bottles, and reformulating just put the puzzle together for me.

In the end, just use what makes you happy! :-D

:pop:

Juiced-03

Established Member
trance_in_miami said:
i called adam the first day and he said that they are not the same. =-) but it is very peculiar... He said that they are just rumors. But something tells that all these companies might have a cheaper distributer.

Of course the companies are not going to admit it! That would mean the doom of their business. Like I said earlier, whether or not they are the same I will still buy from both companies. It is nice to be able to get bulk or small amounts depending on my needs.

trance_in_miami

Established Member
Juiced. I agree with you. Adam also said that those companies are distributers and they they might make the chemicals but that they are not the same becasue they are altered. Well i really want to try the adams car wash and the chemical guys car wash. also Juiced" how is the detial spray. Becasue adams has the best. If the chemical brothers :coolman: company makes exatcly the same liquids. Than we have a new Company. :beer:

Juiced-03

Established Member
trance_in_miami said:
is zaino/clearkote in this type of predicament also?

Well like Scott said, it's hard to say. I believe they make their own products though.

And I want to try that Adam's Spray. I have heard great things about it! Have you tried Clearkote Quickshine?

trance_in_miami

Established Member
quick shine, It looks good. But man Adams is the best i have tried. I know this becasue i have tried many detial spray's But i really dont see the quick shine in my arsenal soon. But juice try the detail spray. It is really good.

jpk

Established Member
Guys, this isn't anything new. All those designed perfumes that cost $50 an ounce? They all have different names and companies, but there are really just a handful of suppliers that formulate them for these boutique lables. Most of the money goes into the ads and the design of the packaging. Same for A/V equipment. The difference between Monster Cable and Radio Shack? Mostly the package.

It comes down to price and convenience. If the repackager gives you good service at a good price, then there's no complaint.

Now, if we all found out that $60 Pinnacle Wax was really just $5 Turtle Wax, then there would be reason to complain. Zymol's cleaner wax is made by Turtle Wax, but it's only $15 so no big deal.

Scott P

Established Member
trance_in_miami said:

AS far as I know, Zaino is specally produced and not relabeled. The same is true for Clearkote. They mix up a lot of the products himself. As for Poorboy's, I have full faith and confidence in Steve when he tells me they do not come from Warner Chemical or The Chemical Guys.

Like I said in my previous posts, there are no ground breaking formulations in the wax industry. A chemist could work for one of those big companies, then start his own business and take the basic forumlations with them. It's in the modifications to those formulations that lies the differences.

All of Steve's products go through various trials and the testers report feedback to Steve. Changes are made several times until the final product is produced. I have a couple different versions of the wheel sealant alone. Anyone that has used his products for a few years knows that they are constant evolving into something better.

trance_in_miami

Established Member
Scott you trust steve as much as i trust Adam ... I guess the only way to fing out is if juiced03" tests them and shows us the results. But I guess all i can do is just trust his voice. Besides Most of Adams products have Surpassed my expectations by ALOT!

Juiced-03

Established Member
Scott, it's really nice to have you on this site. Your knowledge and help to SVT guys (even though you don't own one) truly shows your dedication to your customers, future customers, and lurkers alike. I enjoy reading your posts and have learned quite a bit by reading them, even though I feel I am already somewhat experienced when it comes to detailing. Everyday I feel I learn a better technique, or find a new way to use an old product. I owe a lot of that knowledge to the people like you who take time to post up on these boards!

Just wanted to take a second to say thanks and to let you know your support here is much appreciated!

Juiced-03

Established Member
trance_in_miami said:
Scott you trust steve as much as i trust Adam ... I guess the only way to fing out is if juiced03" tests them and shows us the results. But I guess all i can do is just trust his voice. Besides Most of Adams products have Surpassed my expectations by ALOT!

trance, my experiments really don't mean a heck of a lot to tell you the truth. Like Scott and JPK said, it is nothing new. Whoever makes the product is doing a great job and whether or not Poorboys and CG's are related makes no difference. They are both excellent product lines and I will still use both. EX-P happens to be one my favorite sealants and I will continue to use it. I have also taken a liking to the SSR line, but I don't need a gallons of it like CG's markets.

Hell, for all we know there could be a larger company who makes the products for Chemical Guys :lol:

Maybe I will edit my post, because I don't want people to get the wrong idea. I just wanted to share the coincidence that I saw between the two products. I have never dealt with Steve @ Poorboys. I have only bought my Poorboys from SMP (with the exception of my SSR's from Autogeek with a gift certificate). I still tend to believe that they are both connected, but that is purely my own opinion based upon my OWN experiences.

Last edited:

Scott P

Established Member
Juiced-03 said:
Scott, it's really nice to have you on this site. Your knowledge and help to SVT guys (even though you don't own one) truly shows your dedication to your customers, future customers, and lurkers alike. I enjoy reading your posts and have learned quite a bit by reading them, even though I feel I am already somewhat experienced when it comes to detailing. Everyday I feel I learn a better technique, or find a new way to use an old product. I owe a lot of that knowledge to the people like you who take time to post up on these boards!

Just wanted to take a second to say thanks and to let you know your support here is much appreciated!

Thanks for the kind words. I also appreciate what all of the business I get from you guys, even if you are part of the blue oval conspiracy. ;-)

If you guys buy enough, maybe I can afford that pretty 2006 Shelby Cobra GT500. :D

agentf1

Established Member
trance_in_miami said:
I can guarentee you that Zaino Polishes are made by Zaino's own chemist and is not relabeled. This is probably why Sal is changing/improving his formula so often.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread