Very Odd, Persistent, and Troubling Problems

codycat91

Established Member
I'll make this quick and to the point, looking for some help: I will list the symptoms, then what I have done so far to try to resolve the issue

WHAT I HAVE:

2003 GT with 4v swap, new factory 01 Cobra block and intake, 04 Mach heads decked .010", JLT Ram Air, Sniper Bazooka 95mm MAF, Delphi 42lb Injectors, T56, ARH longtubes and O/R x, EGR delete, UDP's, Intake spacer etc

PROBLEMS:

In Neutral, I cannot hold the RPM's at 1500. The throttle seems jumpy up to about 2000. After 2000 still in N, I can hold any RPM I desire, but from 1000-2000, the car repeatedly burbles back down to idle, even with the throttle pressed. It also seems as though the car doesnt react to the throttle until it is depressed enough to make it go to 2000, then when I try to back it down to 1500, it burbles to idle (SEE VIDEO)

When the TPS sensor is disconnected, I can hold the RPM's at 1500 no problem and it is much smoother.

In 3rd or 4th at WOT, there is a small hiccup at 3000, larger hiccup at 3500, and backfire at 4000rpm. This happens almost all the time, but once in a while it will be fine. This also happens more sporadically at part throttle and lower RPMs. This is regardless of whether the tune is rich or lean, same mechanical issue is present at the same RPM. During the split second of each hiccup, it shows lean (Also, SEE VIDEO). I really hope these problems are related, so I'm only chasing one problem, instead of several

WHAT I HAVE DONE:

Replaced MAF, Injectors, TPS, disconnected one COP at a time to see if the issue persisted and there was no difference in having any one COP unplugged, as there would be with all of them plugged in. The Cam and Crank position sensors are new, but I suppose I could try to throw in my old ones. O2 Sensors are new Bosch sensors.

We have restarted the tune 3 times and triple checked everything in it, also the parameters are about the same on several other cars that do not have this problem. I am definitely have a mechanical issue somewhere, not a tuning issue.

I pulled the plugs and they look fine, they are NGK T55's.

VIDEOS:

Here is a video of the idle burbling back down:

Won't hold 1500 or 2000 in N - YouTube

And here are the hiccups:

Hiccups at part throttle - YouTube

Really need some help here, I'm at wit's and money's end. Thought it couldve been the PCM but it is sporadic. Not all the time. Also thought about the wiring I had to do to the engine harness for the COP's but I feel very confident with my wiring capabilities and know that every solder was solid. If you dont know of anywhere else to look, maybe you can forward this to somebody that can. Thanks

Last edited:

codycat91

Established Member
Finally got a meaty trouble code that could explain a lot: P0206, Cylinder #6 Injector Circuit.

Description: The comprehensive component monitor (CCM) monitors the operation of the fuel injector drivers in the PCM. The test fails when the fuel injector does not operate electrically even though the harness assembly and fuel injectors test satisfactorily.

Possible Causes: Faulty fuel injector driver within the PCM.

Diagnostic Tips: PID Data Monitor INJ1F-INJ12F fault flags = YES.

01yellercobra

Established Member
First thing is I'd get rid of the Bosch O2's and put a pair of Motorcraft sensors in. Are you using adapters for the injectors? If so do they have a good connection? Had that issue with a buddies car. Is your tune dialed in or is it still being worked on?

codycat91

Established Member
Injectors do have adapters, but the problem is exactly the same as with the 42lb injectors with no adapters. Tune should have been dialed in, but the problem is not letting us tune how it should be tuned

codycat91

Established Member
Update!!!!!!

I borrowed a friends set of all 8 COP's from a running 03 Cobra. That completely eliminated the hiccup/backfiring issue. Odd though that it never threw a code for misfire on a certain cylinder. So now I need to replace my COP's. I really dont feel like replacing one at a time and driving it to find the bad one. It is also odd that it only failed under heavy load, which made it impossible to test with a light, since it is a manual.

One last thing, there is still something funky going on at low rpm. It will NOT hold 1500 rpm STILL, and while driving, around 1100rpm, it shows 75% load, which is incorrect. Not sure what to make of this. Tried 3 different TPS sensors and nothing. Idk what do about this... Any ideas? At least the car is driveable now though and pulls pretty good

CJK440

Established Member
I think not being able to hold 1500 is normal. The iac compensates after a while.

codycat91

Established Member
I think not being able to hold 1500 is normal. The iac compensates after a while.

The IAC should only be controlling at idle, correct? It shouldn't do anything when the TPS is reading any throttle input. My tuner has tunes over 1200 cars and has never came across this. Go out and try it on yours if its not too much hassle and lmk if you're able to

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
The idle problems you're having sounds like a VSS issue to me.

and as slo984now told you, get rid of of the bosch O2 sensors, they do not work well with Fords. Do a search on these forums to read about the hassles people have had with them.

codycat91

Established Member
The idle problems you're having sounds like a VSS issue to me.

and as slo984now told you, get rid of of the bosch O2 sensors, they do not work well with Fords. Do a search on these forums to read about the hassles people have had with them.

Vehicle speed sensor? What makes you think that?

Users who are viewing this thread