'Vette e-fans in an L - pic

fullboogie

Established Member
This weekend I finally took on my e-fan project. I installed a dual fan setup out of an '03 'Vette. With very minor trimming, they fit absolutely perfect. And you can pick these up used for $100 or less. I used the MAD fan controller, and a set of Perma-Cool mounting tabs. Total spent - less than $200. Great alternative to the $400 setups out there.

They're dual 12" fans, very quiet and a ton of CFM:

fans.JPG

fans2.JPG

Last edited:

green91fox

Established Member
fullboogie said:
This weekend I finally took on my e-fan project. I installed a dual fan setup out of an '03 'Vette. With very minor trimming, they fit absolutely perfect. And you can pick these up used for $100 or less. I used the MAD fan controller, and a set of Perma-Cool mounting tabs. Total spent - less than $200. Great alternative to the $400 setups out there.

They're dual 12" fans, very quiet and a ton of CFM:

fans.JPG

fans2.JPG
where do you find the fans at? I always wondered if a fan from a 99 and up stang would work.

fullboogie

Established Member
You can troll the corvette forum for these. The vette guys like to upgrade to some aftermarket setup and sell their stock fans for cheap. Also check Ebay - they show up on occasion.

As far as engine temps, I'm actually having trouble getting the temps to stay above the thermostat temp (170) because the fans are so strong. I'm still working with the temp adjustment to get the temps up. These fans are powerful!

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
wow good idea, looks like it fits pretty well in there too.
now let the ribbing comence on using GM parts on a Ford truck ;-)

fullboogie

Established Member
Ok, I knew the GM flames might crop up, so I ground off all evidence of a GM part number!

On the how to:

1) 2000-2004 corvette fan setup ($100)
2) MAD fan controller ($90)
3) extra 10, 12, and 16 gauge wire
4) Perma Cool part #105 mounting kit ($5)

You will have to trim the bottom 1" off the fan shroud to make it fit. The shroud will actually "stand off" from the radiator about 1/2", so I also trimmed that 1/2" around the perimeter of the shroud and 1/2" off the center bar that runs vertically on the radiator-side of the shroud. All this will make it fit perfectly snug up against the radiator.

Mount the MAD controller on the inner fender, passenger side, under the washer bottle and run all your wires per the wiring diagram.

Trim the trailing edge of the factory radiator/hood latch cover, only the part that turns down toward the ground. You will also want to cut a notch to mount the intercooler tank.

All this trimming sounds complicated, but it's not. When you drop the fans into the engine compartment, you will see what needs to be trimmed. It was done with a cutoff wheel, and is very very easy.

The only "tricky part" was to make a new bracket to hold the intercooler tank. It normally bolts to the factory fan shroud. The new fans do not have a provision for this. I made an "L" bracket out of 1" strap aluminum, drilled two holes, and mounted it that way.

It's a really easy install. If anybody has questions, shoot me a PM.

Last edited:

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
fullboogie said:
Ok, I knew the GM flames might crop up, so I ground off all evidence of a GM part number!
good boy! we dont need the gm guys in here saying that are shit is junk and we need to raid there parts room :thumbsup:

fullboogie

Established Member
Chris, not sure what the amp draw is, but it ain't shutting off the 30 amp circuit breaker. I'll measure tonight and post up tomorrow.

fullboogie

Established Member
Thanks. I highly recommend this project. It's about half an afternoon (if you're obsessive like me, you'll redo all the wiring on the controller with soldered and shrink-wrapped conncections), and it's really easy. Lots of satisfaction from doing it myself too.

miamijdm

Crazy SVT Racer
Established Member
did you notice the truck slow down because they'res a chevy part in there?? j/k!! looks good

Users who are viewing this thread