Vibe Update

Viper_ed

Locked & Loaded!!!
Established Member
Bought my Cobra in July 03 and took it back to the dealer in Aug. 03 for drivetrain vibration above 80mph. They changed driveshaft, rear differential and balanced tires. Vibe gone.

Till last week i noticed it coming back, tech told me that he could see that the driveshaft was "egg shaped" except Ford will not address the issue since it only occurs at "UNSAFE DRIVING SPEEDS" WTF!!! 80 UNSAFE???

Called SVT and they admitted to many complaints of the same condition and said that there has been a revised drive shaft released in the past few weeks. They told me to have my dealer order Part #2R3J4602AA and replace mine.

The guy at SVT also said that this same part number was also used on the old defective driveshafts. It's only been the driveshafts sent out in the past few weeks that have been correct.

Does this sound right??? Why the hell wouldn't they just assign a new part number for the corrected piece?

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
I have one here that we're trying to fix the vibe and are finding that the 4 new tires that we have put on this car are sliding on the rims!!
The road force balance has not worked along with the driveshaft and other TSB's that hotline has told us to do. I will post info for you once we get this fixed!

03_Snake

Established Member
A quick Revision primer

I'm an engineer and work with software systems that track part revision histories.

Here's the issue:

Each part number can have several Released revisions -- usually a letter. So, for example, the driveshaft mentioned above, 2R3J4602AA, probably exists at multiple Released revs like A, B, C, etc. Released in this sense implies that that particular rev is available for manufacturing. Some revs are Prototype releases (numbers in many companies). Most manufacturing companies follow rules which prohibit shipping anything which hasProto released parts in it.

If the "Form, Fit, or Function" changes, however, then this usually requires a part number change. For example, if the driveshaft was changed to a longer dimension, this would usually require a new p/n.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread