Vibration at high speeds

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Just wanted to see if anyone else gets vibration in their car at high speeds. When I race and get to 120-135 mph my car vibrates so bad I'm afraid it's going to fall apart. Alignment is good, wheels are balanced. It's been like this forever. Is it normal?

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Check your pinion angle, caused my vibration in my 07.

^^^ +1. My pinion angle is set at -2 degrees. Vibration is not normal. Mine is very smooth, especially at the strip with low pressure in my NT05Rs... very easy to drive fast.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Ok, I'm going to talk to my mechanic about my drive shaft and pinion angle. I know my opinion angle was set up a while back but I've added some mods since so perhaps somethings off. I'm not iliminating the DS just because it's a CF driveshaft, perhaps it's not balanced.

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
If it's an OEM 13/14 driveshaft I would expect that it was balanced from the manufacturer. As others have said, it's probably just the pinion angle.

fullboogie

Established Member
Look for a clean spot on the inside of your rims - not unusual to throw a stick-on weight.

railroad

Established Member
Any point in bolt on time line, it started shaking? I am sure you had to change the pinion flange to get the carbon d/s to mate. When the flange comes off the bearing preload is let off. When you tighten the new flange you have to go back tight enough to get the bearing preload again. If the pinion bearings are loose the pinion can move, bad...... Easy check is the pinion will not move in and out, Zero movement.

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
Any point in bolt on time line, it started shaking? I am sure you had to change the pinion flange to get the carbon d/s to mate. When the flange comes off the bearing preload is let off. When you tighten the new flange you have to go back tight enough to get the bearing preload again. If the pinion bearings are loose the pinion can move, bad...... Easy check is the pinion will not move in and out, Zero movement.

No the pinion flange is exactly the same. The difference is the mount on the Transmission. I assume he is using the same adapter from Tob that I use. No vibrations here on my side.

LEXiiON

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
I had a bad vibration a while back from the band TPMS's. I switched to the valve stem kind and it went away. I don't know what kind you have but thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I had a bad vibration a while back from the band TPMS's. I switched to the valve stem kind and it went away. I don't know what kind you have but thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

Lol I had the same issue with my street set up, I actually heard the tpms flopping around. My drag set up has the valve stem tpms. Really don't know exactly when it started cause I don't race much. I'll take everything in to consideration and see if I can get it straightened out. Btw I'm not using TOBs flange, I have a different one made by Breoland on here, he's a friend of my mechanic.

AtlantaGT500

Established Member
Did you take off the little tab that was behind the stock wheels ( assuming by your pics you don't have stock anymore)?

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Small update, had my car on the dyno and it didn't vibrate. This takes the driveshaft out of play. I'm guessing something with my front suspension. Any thoughts?

1st usa car

Established Member
I have vibration --around 80mph -- It is defn my suspension. either my sway bars are too tight or I need to adjust my end links... I haven't gotten around to adjusting it yet.

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
I would jack up the car and check the front wheels and spin them with some sort of stationary reference or dial indicator to see how straight/true they are. Weld RTS are really bad when it comes to being straight or out of round (runout). More noticeable on their 17” and 18” wheels with less sidewall on the tire. I’ve got a slight vibration from one of my 17’s because of runout. They’re not perfectly round. One of the reasons I ditched my 26” front runners for 28”. It’s probably not as critical on their 15” wheels as there is plenty of sidewall to dampen the lack of quality
I personally would never buy another one. Maybe their other wheels are better.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Wow, never heard of problems with weld rts. I'm no mechanic and I'm disabled, bad back so this is something I'll have my mechanic check. Only problem with this theory is I've had this problem well before the rts and with any other wheel I've had except the stock wheels before I messed with the front suspension. I have CJ drag race springs, strange struts cc plates. Somethings not right

Users who are viewing this thread