vibration from 60-80

Asylum938

Established Member
Over the weekend I cut the factory springs. 1 coil in the front and 3/4 in the rear.

Stance of the car looks great! however I now have a vibration in the whole car from 60-80 that was not there before.

Double checked my work and all the bolts are tight and secure.

vibration only seems to live at 60-80 below that/above no issues.

steering wheel is off center now and car drifts to the right so I know that an alignment is in order. however Researching had lead me to believe that alignment will not cause a speed related vibration. (please correct me if I am wrong)

making left or right turns makes the vibration go away, only seems to happen in a straight line.

the vibration happens under power and with the clutch pushed in, Im assuming it has to be alignment/tire balance related however Im confused by the fact that none of these were present before the drop.

any help or suggestions would be great.

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
I am taking a guess here, but maybe you have a bad wheel bearing that because of the alignment being off is being amplified. You didn't take the drive shaft out for any reason?

Asylum938

Established Member
Drive shaft was NOT taken off.

I thought about the wheel bearing as well. I dont seem to have play when using the 9 and 3 and 6 and 12 shake on the tire to test wheel bearing/ball joing/ tie rods.

however I did notice when I have no load on the passenger front wheel bearing that it does make a slight groan noise when turned by hand ( without the wheel and brake rotor on)

the driver side is smooth as silk and no noise under the same conditions.

I do not hear the typical wheel bearing graon/whine when driving either.

Asylum938

Established Member
Quick update.

I had the wheels road force balanced and everyone balanced good except the right rear.

Something like 35lbs of road force.

Also had the car aligned. The vibration after 70 is pretty much gone but at 60 it's just as bad. Guessing at 60 is when the tire really gets squirrely and smooths back out.

Weird thing is the steering wheel still shakes. Not as bad but still there.

I thought with a bad rear tire I would feel it in the body but it should not cause a steering wheel shimmy

Tie rods and ball joints check out ok.

So I'm at a loss. Any suggestions at all would be great.

Asylum938

Established Member
Figured I would update this thread.

I found the wheel shake issue. I had the front brakes and wheels off to clean everything up.

I spun the driver hub by hand with and smooth as glass.

Did the same with the passenger side and got a nice grinding sound.

Keep in mind I had NO wheel bearing noise while driving.

I replaced the passenger hub today and boom no more steering wheel shake, completely gone.

Still have a slight shake in the seat but I think that's from the high road force wheel in the back.

I'll keep everyone updated on that when I get new tires for the rear.

Hopefully this helps someone else in the same annoying situation out

Users who are viewing this thread