Vibration issues

mdoan

Established Member
I've been tolerating vibration in the drivetrain for some time now due to funding, but I'm at a point where I can start fixing the problem.

Here's the data:
1. Vibration starts IN GEAR at approx 3k (barely noticeable), significant at 4k+. Same with every gear.
2. Clutch pedal vibration starts at 3k also, when engaging, but is much stronger. Escalates linearly to redline at which point it feels like it's about to self-destruct... but otherwise executes shifts without other problems. The same whether engaging in neutral or in gear.
3. In neutral, no clutch, engine revs smooth to 5k, at which point more subtle but apparent vibration starts.

I can only assume its more than one cause, but I'm focusing on these so far:
1. Throw out bearing. Car has 50-60k on a king cobra clutch - 112k total miles, no quadrant, no firewall adjuster. 430s don't help I'm sure. Pedal does indicate this as it is very far out un-engaged.
2. Pinion angle. Car has coil overs but I've adjusted ride height to what others on this forum CLAIM as stock to be approx 27.5" up front, 28" out back (also taking tire size into account). That said, eye test tells me it's nowhere near 4x4 enough at those heights. Torque arm, subframes, and race rear lowers in the garage waiting on welder.
3. Out of balance flywheel. Haven't heard of the flywheel ever causing problems in the past.
(4.). Alum driveshaft out of balance or needs 90deg rotating. Alum driveshaft improved the vibs over stock, so I doubt it's a suspect

AM I ON THE RIGHT TRACK? CRITIQUES? SUGGESTIONS? I will be doing any repairs on my own with limited time off work so I'm really trying to narrow down the work list with enough research. Mechanic fees are nuts so not an option.

Thanks as always svtp gurus.

Last edited:

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
I would say a throw out bearing issue. I had a similiar problem a while back. I just replaced my throw out bearing that I found was coming apart and havent had a problem since. Also would hurt to upgrade your clutch quadrant with a metal piece, before the stock plastic piece of shit leaves you stranded. Hope this helps.

CJK440

Established Member
Test.

Car parked, tranny in neutral, clutch out. Rev to vibe zone.

Do the same but this time trans in gear, clutch in.

Report back.

laddanator

Established Member
Test.

Car parked, tranny in neutral, clutch out. Rev to vibe zone.

Do the same but this time trans in gear, clutch in.

Report back.

I'm having the same issue. Not to steal this tread. When I crank my Cobra, the rpms jump up as normal but I can feel the vibration on crank. Idles fine, no vibration. With the car in neutral, (not drive shaft or rear end if this occurs in neutral) I can rev the car up to around 3000 rpm and I get a terrible vibration. If I can keep the car under 2 in 5th gear, she is as smooth as can be. The PO thinks this started after a Spec +2 clutch and Spec flywheel was installed. I also though damper pulley but if this was the case, wouldn't the car vibrate at all rpms?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread