Vibration visable through steering wheel at 1500 rpm

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
Anyone have experienced a noticable vibration that is visably evident through their steering wheel? Sitting at 1500 rpm in neutral you can view the steering wheel vibrating. Going above or below that range the steering wheel doesn't shake. I just had to buy a replacement oil filler cap because it had vibrated off the valve covers.

I am running a LFP 4 lb quick change lower pulley with a 2.90 blower pulley. Had installed the 4th clutch and am running the Ram Powerguide HD with Fidenza alum flywheel. After I had installed the clutch and flywheel I started sensing the vibration through the shifter and steering wheel and it prompted me to drop the tranny again and remove clutch and flywheel to have them balanced and determine if it was the cause. They were out of balance, but even after they were balanced and installed back, I still have a vibration feeling.

Trying to see if someone else had something similiar and what they had determined was the root cause and how they fixed it. I was told that motor mounts can cause it or oscillation from exhaust pipes. What else could cause it if the clutch and flywheel can be ruled out?

Last edited:

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
I don't know if it was at 1500 RPM but mine used to vibrate. It bugged the shit out of me too. I lowered the sterring wheel one notch, and the problem was solved.

03yellow

Established Member
Vibration in the steering wheel is an indication of ...front tires or ballancing of front tires.

olchakla said:
Anyone have experienced a noticable vibration that is visably evident through their steering wheel? Sitting at 1500 rpm in neutral you can view the steering wheel vibrating. Going above or below that range the steering wheel doesn't shake. I just had to buy a replacement oil filler cap because it had vibrated off the valve covers.

I am running a LFP 4 lb quick change lower pulley with a 2.90 blower pulley. Had installed the 4th clutch and am running the Ram Powerguide HD with Fidenza alum flywheel. After I had installed the clutch and flywheel I started sensing the vibration through the shifter and steering wheel and it prompted me to drop the tranny again and remove clutch and flywheel to have them balanced and determine if it was the cause. They were out of balance, but even after they were balanced and installed back, I still have a vibration feeling.

Trying to see if someone else had something similiar and what they had determined was the root cause and how they fixed it. I was told that motor mounts can cause it or oscillation from exhaust pipes. What else could cause it if the clutch and flywheel can be ruled out?

Last edited:

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
in neutral, not moving and revving the engine, at 1500 rpm the steering wheel would then vibrate. Below 1500 no vibration, revving above 1500 it would stop.

Juruense

Banned
Drivetrain vibration can be caused by improperly torqued or aligned flywheel, clutch, bell housing, etc.

Since you say it started after you installed those parts I would suspect the install was not done 100% correctly. Did you use alignment dowels? Did you follow torque spec and proper bolt tightening order?

Users who are viewing this thread