Video: 2015 Mustang Design & Engineering - Passion Play

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The people that produced those videos did an absolutely fantastic job. Ford's media and marketing arm has done a great job.

That said, one thing about the S550 that already irks me is the new exhaust system (I'm disregarding anything other than V8 models). Not the engineering behind it, but what emission regulations, weight, and cost concerns have morphed it into. After suffering through the '65/'66, '67/'68, '69/'70, '71-'73, skipping the Iacocca Pinto version at any cost, '79-'93, '94/'95, '96-'04 systems, Ford finally got it right with the advent of the S197. Exhaust systems were very much symmetrical, were easy to break down by section, and serviced well. That simplicity looks to have disappeared. The symmetry is gone from the manifolds, to the "H" section, as well as the mid/tailpipe assemblies. No doubt, the aftermarket will come to the rescue, but it says something about the previous era in what we may never see again. The "freedom" as mentioned in those video clips, is not as free as it once was. It will be missed.

EditorTurner

Established Member
Well, I do recall the engineers taking modding into consideration when designing the S197. I haven't heard much of that regarding this car...

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Great videos. Gave me the shivers.

What engine/exhaust combo were they featuring a lot in those vids? EB? Sounded like a weld inside the muffler broke loose.

Users who are viewing this thread