Video: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Dyno Test for NASA Time Trial Classing

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member

Scott W 2018 Camaro ZL1 NASA Cert Dyno.png

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Beautiful car. I'd love to have one some day... unfortunately, it would be clapped out by the time I could afford it.

Just curious, when you TT, do you run the whole session? I ask because in my region it seems the serious TTers run just a couple laps to get their best time, then pit in. Those guys probably have under 25 laps the whole weekend...just doesn't seem worth the money to me, which is why I chose W2W.

Wondering if your region is the same.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
In a competitive Time Trial, there is little benefit to continuing to run beyond your best lap in the session. The format takes the single best laps, so you are just burning tires and brakes if you stay out. If you are behind the next position, then sometimes you stay out and push it. W2W has a different risk/safety profile and I wouldn't take my relatively stock and relatively new Camaro into that. I may do W2W someday, but not in my current car.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Yeah, I wasn't suggesting using the Z for W2W! Just asking if you run the session, which as you noted, often points to your level of competitiveness within TT, while simultaneously injecting my thoughts on the expense of a NASA weekend and only running a handful of laps.
When I go, want the most amount of track time available even if my consumables are slightly higher. If fact, tires may even be lower since I run'em till they cord.
Regardless, I'm sure the ZL1 is formidable in TT and can lay down some great lap times. That color blue is gorgeous and would definitely be my first choice

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
I typically don't come in until the lap times start falling off considerably. I actually will have to stay out for the entire session length as part of the process to convert my provisional NASA TT license to a permanent one.

I will come in early if I'm in P1 by a significant margin. It's too risky that you have a mechanical or burn down tires unnecessarily. I've missed 1st place by .18 seconds with 280 seconds of total time scored.

Users who are viewing this thread