Which would you get?

• Viper

Votes: 188 46.2%
  • GT500

Votes: 219 53.8%

• Total voters

dfw99cobra

Established Member
I had this discussion with some friends and thought I'd get the vote of the GT500 crowd. If you could get a viper for near the same price as what you were paying for the GT500, which would you get?

dfw99cobra

Established Member
My line of thinking is that for 38k to 40k you can get a pretty nice viper. I'd really have to think hard about it. I know it may seem like any easy decision to some but as much as I want the new Shelby; I'd love to have a viper.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Viper... hands down. I don't care how easy the Shelby is to mod. There is just something visceral about being behind the wheel of a GTS; especially an ACR. Factory BBS wheels and CamLock harnesses is just too cool.

The next car I buy, if I ever do, will be a used '96-'99 Black or Viper Steel Grey GTS.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
For 40k you are going to get a 20k+ mile GTS. B&W '96/'97's still fetch 50-55k for a low mileage one. They are also very limited production, ~1200 per year

gonein60

Banned
GT500 is awesome

WDW MKR said:
Viper... hands down. I don't care how easy the Shelby is to mod. There is just something visceral about being behind the wheel of a GTS; especially an ACR. Factory BBS wheels and CamLock harnesses is just too cool.

The next car I buy, if I ever do, will be a used '96-'99 Black or Viper Steel Grey GTS.

GT500 hands down. The Viper just doesn't seem that attractive to me. It has to have ten cylinders just to get 500HP, and it's overpriced. The V8 motor is authentic American Muscle, and the GT500 looks way more 60's muscle and aggressive than the V10 Viper. The Viper is for rich businessmen who are trying to re-live their youth, it's to corporate for me. The GT500 is an affordable car that has about the same power as a Viper at a fraction of the cost.

There's no arguement, V8 cars are the best, and the GT500 has soul, the Viper just has a lopy V10 and is way out of the price range for most people.

Later :pepper:

WDW MKR

Established Member
gonein60 said:
GT500 hands down. The Viper just doesn't seem that attractive to me. It has to have ten cylinders just to get 500HP, and it's overpriced. The V8 motor is authentic American Muscle, and the GT500 looks way more 60's muscle and aggressive than the V10 Viper. The Viper is for rich businessmen who are trying to re-live their youth, it's to corporate for me. The GT500 is an affordable car that has about the same power as a Viper at a fraction of the cost.

There's no arguement, V8 cars are the best, and the GT500 has soul, the Viper just has a lopy V10 and is way out of the price range for most people.

Later :pepper:

That same American V8 takes an extra 2.3L of positive blower displacement to make up for its lack of cubes. There is no magical horsepower formula. Volumetric effeciency rules, which is where forced induction comes in handy. I don't want a car that "looks" 60's muscle. I want a car that is 60's muscle, which is why I would buy an old '65-66 car long before I bought a 2005 Mustang (yes, I know the Shelby is an 07). And as far as the Shelby looking more aggressive, there is no way I can agree with that. I guess that's the beauty of opinions.

It's a little much to say there is no argument. The latest Viper V10 runs mid-11s off the showroom floor, with more displacement and no forced induction. The Ford GT runs about the same (showroom floor, not sticky tires and such that some mags have done), with less displacement and forced induction. The Shelby won't be running with either car off the showroom floor, but it's a lot cheaper and not near the total car that the Ford GT and Viper are. Pick your poison...

trance_in_miami

Established Member
iF I CAN GET THIS I WOULD BE ONE LUCKY GUY. ALL OF ARE LYING TO YOURSELF. A VIPER IS AN EXOTIC CAR, THAT IS BEYOND THE LEVEL OF A GT500. MAYBE A SALEEN WOULD COMPARE WELL.

dodge_viper_srt-10_convertible_pictures.jpg

:bowdown:

Joes66Pony

Dump the SRA
Established Member
It depends I guess. I mean, if money was no object, and I was forced to choose between the two, I would have to say Viper (especially if it was an SRT-10 Coupe). As much as I love Mustangs, in the end, the GT500 is still nothing more than a gussied up Mustang, sharing the same traits and DNA as the base Mustang. The thing the Viper has going for it is exclusivity, it shares space with exotic cars.

But then again, at that price point, there would be a ton of cars that I would prefer over either the GT500 or the Viper....like the Aston Martin AMV8 Vantage or even the DB9 (and I'd still be buying Ford products).

aston-amv8-4492.jpg

Last edited:

gonein60

Banned
GT500 is awesome

WDW MKR said:
That same American V8 takes an extra 2.3L of positive blower displacement to make up for its lack of cubes. There is no magical horsepower formula. Volumetric effeciency rules, which is where forced induction comes in handy. I don't want a car that "looks" 60's muscle. I want a car that is 60's muscle, which is why I would buy an old '65-66 car long before I bought a 2005 Mustang (yes, I know the Shelby is an 07). And as far as the Shelby looking more aggressive, there is no way I can agree with that. I guess that's the beauty of opinions.

It's a little much to say there is no argument. The latest Viper V10 runs mid-11s off the showroom floor, with more displacement and no forced induction. The Ford GT runs about the same (showroom floor, not sticky tires and such that some mags have done), with less displacement and forced induction. The Shelby won't be running with either car off the showroom floor, but it's a lot cheaper and not near the total car that the Ford GT and Viper are. Pick your poison...

With a few mod's(40k difference in price) I'll eat your Big V10 Viper for breakfast-spit you out at lunch-and regurgitate you for dinner, end of story. And yes, the 2007 Shelby is 60's muscle way advanced :banana:

gonein60

Banned
GT500 is awesome

trance_in_miami said:
iF I CAN GET THIS I WOULD BE ONE LUCKY GUY. ALL OF ARE LYING TO YOURSELF. A VIPER IS AN EXOTIC CAR, THAT IS BEYOND THE LEVEL OF A GT500. MAYBE A SALEEN WOULD COMPARE WELL.

dodge_viper_srt-10_convertible_pictures.jpg

:bowdown:

Even if I had the money, I would go with the GT500, it has soul and nostalgia, and it looks way cooler in my opinion. GT500 ROCKS BABY. I'll take the 40k difference between both cars and use about 3k to spank your V10 Viper. I like modern muscle cars, not modern exotic cars that are way overpriced. :coolman:

WDW MKR

Established Member
gonein60 said:
With a few mod's(40k difference in price) I'll eat your Big V10 Viper for breakfast-spit you out at lunch-and regurgitate you for dinner, end of story. And yes, the 2007 Shelby is 60's muscle way advanced :banana:

Then we hit a corner and the Viper takes over... it's different strokes for different folks. You can mod the Viper just like you mod the Shelby. The money issue is pretty flimsy. My 03 is faster than a 911 Turbo, but you won't hear me saying that I have a better car. Anyone could build a 9sec Fox Body for a lot cheaper than any of the cars in question if we're only concerned with straight-line acceleration. You like one, I like the other... there is no right or wrong.

By the way... if you spit something out for lunch, it makes it a little hard to regurgitate it for supper. ;-)

R1Lello

Established Member
:lol:

Some of the above comments made me laugh. Yes, I'll admit, the Viper def'ly has the 'wow' factor and I love them so not bashing, and I'll tell you up front I do have a deposit on the 07 Gt500 but:

Some of you would pay $52-$55 u.s. for a 96-97 Viper?? Doubt it...........they can ask all they want in their ads but do they get that much??? A car is only worth what people are willing to pay and that's fact. C'mon folks, it's so overpriced for a 8-9 year old car with (compared to todays cars, little technology) and no warranty but.....it's a Viper right?

You also have to consider what your plans are with the car, if you plan to mod, the aftermarket has taken so strongly to the Mustang for years and years now, even stronger with this new body style so if you need parts or mods to go fast it is cheaper by a long shot. You will be able to do so much for so much less $$ with this stang to do circles around a Viper and out accelerate a Viper with ease. But is it a Viper??? No.........so you decide

Mid 11's new Viper?? I'm not so sure, high 11's with good drivers more real but for $125,000 canadian, it better. By the way, the 96-97 to 2002 with 450 hp.........low 12's at best with a great driver. Now start modding and see who is king for little money. (hint........not the Viper)

I said it before, and I'll say it again.........wait 'til people start modding that 07 Shelby........then we'll see. Geez, the mags are already running mid 12's with little mods on the 05 GT, and easy 11's with a blower kit on stock 05's with just over 400 hp.

Again, I'm not bashing the Viper, actually like them but sit back and think and take a financial course 101 and decide.

carstocks

Established Member
Quote:
________________________________________________________________________________
I had this discussion with some friends and thought I'd get the vote of the GT500 crowd. If you could get a viper for near the same price as what you were paying for the GT500, which would you get?________________________________________________________________________________

I'd take the Viper, Sell it, take the money and buy the GT500 & an Explorer (for everyday driving)!

Last edited:

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
I like the Viper's body style, but I just LUV the growl of a V8 engine, especially when you perform some exhaust modification to it, and the Viper's V-10 engine just sounds wimpy. yeah, yeah, I know it's a potent engine, and I like the fact that it does have some major displacement. But even though it's faster than many cars, it still sounds wimpy to me, and I just couldn't live with that. Just my preference I guess. I also believe that the stock GT500's will be coming very close to stock Vipers in acceleration contests.

WDW MKR

Established Member
R1Lello said:

Some of the above comments made me laugh. Yes, I'll admit, the Viper def'ly has the 'wow' factor and I love them so not bashing, and I'll tell you up front I do have a deposit on the 07 Gt500 but:

Some of you would pay $52-$55 u.s. for a 96-97 Viper?? Doubt it...........they can ask all they want in their ads but do they get that much??? A car is only worth what people are willing to pay and that's fact. C'mon folks, it's so overpriced for a 8-9 year old car with (compared to todays cars, little technology) and no warranty but.....it's a Viper right?

You also have to consider what your plans are with the car, if you plan to mod, the aftermarket has taken so strongly to the Mustang for years and years now, even stronger with this new body style so if you need parts or mods to go fast it is cheaper by a long shot. You will be able to do so much for so much less $$ with this stang to do circles around a Viper and out accelerate a Viper with ease. But is it a Viper??? No.........so you decide

Mid 11's new Viper?? I'm not so sure, high 11's with good drivers more real but for $125,000 canadian, it better. By the way, the 96-97 to 2002 with 450 hp.........low 12's at best with a great driver. Now start modding and see who is king for little money. (hint........not the Viper)

I said it before, and I'll say it again.........wait 'til people start modding that 07 Shelby........then we'll see. Geez, the mags are already running mid 12's with little mods on the 05 GT, and easy 11's with a blower kit on stock 05's with just over 400 hp.

Again, I'm not bashing the Viper, actually like them but sit back and think and take a financial course 101 and decide.

Pre-05 GTS Vipers run high 11s with good drivers. I have seen it with my own two eyes. The 05+ SRT-10 runs mid-11s with a good driver. I have also seen that with my own two eyes. If you want to take the difference in purchase price and modify a Mustang, more power to you. My 03 Cobra isn't going anywhere, and I plan to mod the hell out of it. None of that makes the Viper any less of a car. I don't need to take any financial classes to know that the Viper is a better total package. If it doesn't offer what you want, then you don't have to buy. Personal choice is a fantastic thing.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
R1Lello said:

I'm sorry man, you don't know what your talking about. I hit 12.05 @119 with mine bone stock right down to the original tires and I don't powershift. Any car that can trap 117-119 stock is easily a 11 sec car. The new ones trap 122-123, which is good for mid 11's.

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
GTSpartan said:
Any car that can trap 117-119 stock is easily a 11 sec car.
Trap speeds don't neccessarily go hand in hand with ET's. Gear ratios play a big role in that. I'm not disputing your other claim of new Vipers getting into the 11's routinely though, because I really wouldn't know since I never see them running at the track. Almost every time I've seen one, it was parked. And the only exception was a late 90's one running 12.2's. I just think that some people are getting too caught up with comparing trap speeds. A trap speed will not always indicate what the ET is. There are other things that factor in.

Users who are viewing this thread