Vipers sound like muscle cars!

BluePastU

Established Member
Ok, got into an argument with 2 guys today about the sound of the Viper. Both are into imports and they were all talking about how they love the "rumble" and "old school muscle car" sound of the Dodge Viper. From what I have heard, Vipers do NOT make a noise such as this. Especially at WOT. I think they do not have quite that deep throaty sound, sound higher pitched like that of a V6 or something...not quite as high pitched or annoying, very unique to say the least. What do you all think? Any vids or sound clips to help my case?

03CobraBro

Established Member
It's a very unique sound, but deffinatly not high pitched. Very throaty/muffled sounding at WOT, IMO.

I'll see if I can dig you up a sound clip.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
I don't have any sound clips, but I have a buddy with an '01 viper. His exhaust note is pretty similar to my z06. It's definitely not "muscle car" deep/throaty rumble. I wouldn't call it high pitched, but raspy might describe it better. It has a lot of "popping" sound at WOT.

manystangs

SVT Poster
Established Member
I don't know about the new ones, but i know the old ones sounded like crap. If i am not mistaken it is because of the firing order of the engine. Supposedly it sounds like two 5 cylinder engines firing.

03CobraBro

Established Member
I always thought it was a very wraithish sound... Suited the car well IMO. Of course thats all just subjective though. :shrug:

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
I don't think they sound very good. I guy that lives next to me has one of those Dodge RT trucks with the viper engine. He has side pipes and everything. Doesn't sound good in my opinion. The best sounding viper I've heard is Jesse James' viper. Whatever he did to the exhaust sounds good.

drexebo

On a quest 4 an 03 cobra!
Established Member
Originally posted by 98cobra snake
They sound like a mix between a V8 and a V12.

you mean... like a V10? j/k

From what I've heard of them, (not the new ones) someone on these forums put it so well, "sounds like a 4-banger on steroids"...

BayouVette

Far Beyond Driven
Established Member
i have a good vid of a bad ass one around here that a doctor owns..
I will post it tomorrow. Runs consistent 9.6x Built for drag racing

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
What is it about the v10s that make it sound so bad? I don't understand. I would think that the bigger the engine the deeper the rumble. v12s sound pretty good, but you can't beat the sound of the 427 Cobra.

Keyser Soze

Grim Reaper
Established Member
I heard one in SA with headers and a cat-back and at idle it sounded cool but once he started to move it sounded like shit, like a deep import sound.

98cobra snake

NA
Established Member
Originally posted by ampstang
What is it about the v10s that make it sound so bad? I don't understand. I would think that the bigger the engine the deeper the rumble.
Well because V10s have smaller pistons than V8s.

NEVRL8

Established Member
There definately is a big difference between the sound of the early vipers and the later ones. The early Vipers with the side pipes had no cross-over pipe, so the resulting sound as mentioned above, was that of two seperate inline fives -- very strange.

Users who are viewing this thread