visit at the dealer?? work dat only 7,000 miles?? :(

GLASSTOPGT500

Established Member
hey everyone, ben a blast driving this car, and I got to say... it is pretty darn addictive beating on this thing...

now speaking on beating on it, I know the mustang is known for its durability, hence why I stopped even considering any other car for my "fun time"

I noticed the rear trunk lid antenna's housing was cracked, so I bought it in for replacement under warranty, and remembered on the highway it whined a bit louder then I thought it should from the rear end. I did mention it, and then after going on a drive with the mechanic he mentioned the gears in the rear need to be replaced? Okay I get it, mechanics and dealerships are like butt buddies when it comes to making money, unsure of how it works when it comes to warranty work. I don't want to have this done on my car JUST BECAUSE, as I hate fixing something that doesnt need to be fixed, warranty or not. The gears seem to whine a little louder then usual on the highway in the 5th and 6th, and I want to be sure I am not just having someone tamper with my car for no reason.

**also before I get flamed for bringing this up, I did mention the ticking from the engine bay, he noted that it depends on how worn the oil is, and when it thins down the motor may tick but does NO damage what so ever... i know some guys had a statement written from thier dealer to stand behind it if something DID happen after warranty and related to the tick.

advice please, thank u

GLASSTOPGT500

Established Member
cj, how many miles are on ur car?? and off a light... and how much slamming does the rear end get from your style of driving?? more like blasting off each stop signal, and through each gear... or pretty casual stuff??
i just know for a fact the rear end wasnt as loud when I got the car with around 3400 miles..

Steve@BAS

Established Member
Tick is normal, most attribute it to the injectors. As to rear end gears, I haven't heard anything other than exhaust and screaming S/Cs for a long time, so not sure.

mullens

Established Member
Yes tick is normal injector noise...don't believe that crap about how worn the oil is.:dw: Whine in 6th is also normal. Loud humming is not. That's what I had and they had to replace the carrier bearings.

Last edited:

cjgt500

Established Member
cj, how many miles are on ur car?? and off a light... and how much slamming does the rear end get from your style of driving?? more like blasting off each stop signal, and through each gear... or pretty casual stuff??
i just know for a fact the rear end wasnt as loud when I got the car with around 3400 miles..

2100 mi..casual to race..somewhere around 700rwhp now but have not been back to the dyno after latest mods since putting down 650rwhp. I have poly/heim joint LCA's and poly UCA which transfer the rear end whine too.

GLASSTOPGT500

Established Member
hmm i love everything about this car than any other but i guess its just the difference between a 50g gt500 and a 100g 911 turbo.... but the 50g whiny cobra will take a beating all day, porsche may break causing you to go broke... well maybe not everyone on here :p

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I don't understand what "work dat 7000 miles" means, but my rear end screams in every gear when I get up over 40 MPH. I took it back once and the dealer said it was "characteristic of the car" but if it gets worse to bring it back. It's got 4500 miles on it now and it's definitely going back. It's bad. I remember hearing when I first got the car, that it was a common issue but with the 1-2 shift problem taking the forefront for most guys complaint priority I think either people forgot that it happens or it just wasn't as bad for them as they thought. Mine is so loud that you can actually hear it over my full 3" JBA exhaust...

GLASSTOPGT500

Established Member
I don't understand what "work dat 7000 miles" means, but my rear end screams in every gear when I get up over 40 MPH. I took it back once and the dealer said it was "characteristic of the car" but if it gets worse to bring it back. It's got 4500 miles on it now and it's definitely going back. It's bad. I remember hearing when I first got the car, that it was a common issue but with the 1-2 shift problem taking the forefront for most guys complaint priority I think either people forgot that it happens or it just wasn't as bad for them as they thought. Mine is so loud that you can actually hear it over my full 3" JBA exhaust...

"work dat 7000 miles"...... funny you point that out because I was reading the posts last night and I forgot what I meant myself... conclusion to rushing a post after a dealer visit. but yeah meant "repair work? its only ben 7000 miles!" maybe its because of living in Canada. I am thinking maybe the louder rear end has to do with the type of fluid used in the diff??

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
"work dat 7000 miles"...... funny you point that out because I was reading the posts last night and I forgot what I meant myself... conclusion to rushing a post after a dealer visit. but yeah meant "repair work? its only ben 7000 miles!" maybe its because of living in Canada. I am thinking maybe the louder rear end has to do with the type of fluid used in the diff??

:lol:

I'm in NJ and my rear end is louder than the rest of the car. I think there are a few that we're just not set up properly. I think there was a revision to the pinion bearing also.

mrrpm

Established Member
My rear end has always whined, really bad about 50-60MPH, kinda goes away after that though. I just keep the radio up, it's done it since new, got 45,000 miles so far. It is a convertible, don't know if that makes it louder or not?

Users who are viewing this thread