VMP GT350 Intake Heatshield Test

EditorTurner

Established Member
00-Shelby-GT350-Intake-Heatshield-Test-Featured.jpg

Hot or Not?
VMP Performance tests Heatshield Products’ I-M Shield on its GT350
By Steve Turner
Photos by Steve Turner and courtesy of Heatshield Products

As the factory continues to squeeze more and more performance out of its vehicles the software in the PCM is also quick to reel in the ignition timing in response to heat. Since heat can lead to detonation, this is a wise safeguard. However, for those of us that want maximum performance at all times, keeping the inlet air cooler and the timing more aggressive is a great idea.
Continue reading →

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Small incremental gains (or reduction of losses) add up. Great product and data collection on Justin's part. Thanks for this one Steve!

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
It's a good proof of concept, but are the gains worth the amount of work to install it? This seems more like something you'd do in conjunction with some other work that you're already doing that requires the removal of the intake manifold.

BilletProShop

Established Member
It's a good proof of concept, but are the gains worth the amount of work to install it? This seems more like something you'd do in conjunction with some other work that you're already doing that requires the removal of the intake manifold.

I think you just answered your own question. Obviously not the go to mod for the general public for the little gains to be had but when you start adding all these pro tips together it makes a big difference...

A 5hp here, a 3 hp there, 3 lbs less here, another 6 pounds there. The end result could mean a huge difference for someone that wants every little bit out of their setup.

-Mat

Last edited:

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I think you just answered your own question. Obviously not the go to mod for the general public for the little gains to be had but when you start adding all these pro tips together it makes a big difference...

A 5hp here, a 3 hp there, 3 lbs less here, another 6 pounds there. The end result could mean a huge difference for someone that wants every little bit out of their setup.

-Mat

BilletProTip

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Great work guys, nicely done.

On an unrelated note, for turbo modular guys that have to run their alternators in their valley, I bet heat material on the v alley could be quite helpful.

Heatshield

Established Member
BilletProTip

I've been meaning to get in here, and I've had nothing but Monday's for 2 weeks. First thank you to VMP and SVT for being brave souls and trying our crazy idea. We prefer doing this and other videos third party, so they are less like company propaganda videos and show the truth. These results are terrific.

Our Instant-Muscle Shields seems to gain more with modified cars. The GT350 has yielded the smallest gain so far. Antivenom just tested a slightly modified C5 Vette and it picked up 20 RWHP/20FT Lbs. I believe it had an aftermarket air intake, long tube headers, and a tuner on it. I'm not sure if it's because the brand C designs need more help then Fords or not. We had a 2010 Camaro gain 17 RWHP. the first brave soul had a single turbo 2011 coyote with Boss intake, single turbo and he gained 12 RWHP. We are going to test more to verify if modified cars have a higher percentage gain vs. stock. We are also looking to test an aluminum intake. In theory, since aluminum conducts heat more efficiently than the composites, we should see some great gains. We are hunting for a guinea pig who can do a video like this one.

When I had this idea I figured it would work, I have been amazed myself at some of the numbers. I've had to ask to re-verify for me on the numbers, because even I had a hard time believing some of the gains. So far they seem to be legit.

What we take away from this, the GT350 is a great car from the factory, makes us want one even more. All in all, this is pretty amazing RWHP for something that retails under $100.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Does the shielding used here become a heat sink in and of itself after a certain point? What I'm getting at is whether the plastic intake could at some point be cooler than the saturated shielding, the two "normalize" and the gains essentially disappear. Not on simple dyno runs but after lengthy operation of the car under dynamic conditions on the street or track.

Heatshield

Established Member
Tob-

It shouldn't. The material itself shouldn't see any heat soak. It is rated for tempos of 1000F, so being in the 300F range is a cakewalk for it. the 200F range, it's yawing at that point.

I don't have all the details on this particular dyno session. The previous two sessions with the Camaro and the Vette were done with the motors being brought up to operating temperature for 5 minutes. For both the before and after. In theory, while driving and air flowing through the compartment, you could potentially see better gains as the intake temperatures should drop even further.

Users who are viewing this thread